• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City versus Accrington Stanley 'who are they?' Matchday Thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's easy to say Accy are a rubbish side but looking at their last five away games they have only lost one, at that was at Ipswich. They drew the other four so whilst they might not have much going forward they can a tough nut to crack. In truth it took two quality goals to make it an easy game. First from Demi, and then a spot on, raking long diagonal pass from Aimson and the immaculate first touch from Key to get the killer second.

Any performance like this is built on a firm base and the back three made it look easy but also used the ball well. It was good to see The Kaiser back on form after his nightmare against Lincoln. Unlucky with the cheeky lob over the bean pole keeper from six yards to hit the crossbar for Sam's goal.

Having KMac is a settling presence and we also saw how much of a miss Harry Kite is. He has got an incredible engine and work ethic along with being a very tidy footballer. The ground he covers is industrial scale, one minute running in behind the left back towards the corner flag, the next putting out a fire by conscientious tracking back and biting tackling. A proper all round midfielder comfortable at this level and could easily go higher.

From that base Josh Key ran riot today. Their left wing back looked like he could be a danger coming forward but he was toast going back. The second half offering had no more effect either. With Mitchell always a danger down the left, it gave us a lovely balance.

Then there was Stanno. He was everywhere today, and got the goal his performance deserved. There were a few contenders for MotM today and Stanno was certainly one of them. Not going to begrudge that decision at all.

It was good to see James Scott given more minutes playing right up front. Forget his height, he wants the ball played into his body and feet. He brought other players into the game and then gets into the box with decent mobility. His link up with Stanno for the fourth with a very clever and calm finish might be more what to expect rather than a traditional target man.

A great day with a 5-0 win...and the ref was crap 🙂

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes Gary, I thought that too. Glad you listened.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lots of 10s! I think some exewebbers are underestimating how good we were. Accrington couldn’t compete because of the quality we showed, right through the team. A lot of players today outperformed the man of the match in many of our earlier performances this season.
Agree 100%.

milts

Some brilliant goals. So very pleased for Stanno

geoffwp

Have to admit to more than one tear in my eyes after Jay's goal.
When he turned his marker I wondered if this was it? And when the ball hit the net I thought your dad's looking down and smiling son.

Radio Free Skaro

Lots of 10s! I think some exewebbers are underestimating how good we were. Accrington couldn’t compete because of the quality we showed, right through the team. A lot of players today outperformed the man of the match in many of our earlier performances this season.
Who was MOM?

arthur

Amazing what can be done if you play players in their right positions 👍
I suppose one day the carping/damning with faint praise will die down :)

In case people forget, Caldwell inherited a League 2 team in indifferent form. We did OK up until January when he recruited some fresh talent and spent the next couple of months trying out different formations with different players in different positions. Some worked, some didn't but it enabled him to get to know his squad and where its strengths and opportunities were, as well as its weaknesses. He could have just played the same players in the same place every week, replacing players only after injury or demonstrable loss of form, but that wouldn't have told him anything very much.

The nadir was reached at Port Vale, which I was fortunate to attend because the oatcakes were fabulous. We were suddenly without Jevani and MacDnald and Harper got himself sent off. It was pretty grim, apart from the bit when we we had ten men and looked quite lively which turned out to be a harbinger of things to come.

Today was when you saw all this hard work and good management pay off. Apart from the high emotion of Stanno's goal and the stunningness of Mitchell's two things stood out. The first was the subs bench, which looked really strong. And the second was the togetherness of that squad, exemplified by the celebrations after Scott's goal. To see this new bloke who's made little impact so far being warmly embraced by the likes of Kite and Key who were virtually born here puts to bed the fear that a happy squad under Super Mattie Taylor is now toiling and muttering under the yoke of a dour Scots taskmaster....

Radio Free Skaro

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Today. Perfect result and game. Whilst I haven't felt this coming like others, I am delighted to be proven wrong.

I cannot comment on the game to much outside the highlights and bits I Heard on the radio. So happy to be correct if anyone disagrees whom was there.

Annoyingly radio Devon lost the game when Stanno scored, but how I wish i had been on the big bank today for that moment. I was in the Stanno stand when he scored against Fleetwood and that was emotional enough, so dread to think of the emotion there today when Stanno wrapped up the goal scoring. It was also a very classy finish from the young man.

Also delighted to see Scott get his first score and what a classy finish it was, also from Stanno to lay it back to him. Him and Stanno linked so well for that goal.

Mitchell with a peach of a finish when it sounded like although dominating without creating much and very much the moment in the game went away from Accrington, as from this moment it seemed all us.

The 2nd and 3rd goals I Was picking the kids up, but Nombe's goal was as easy as they come but dreadful defending from Accy and good play from us. Keys was a lovely finish from lovely play.

The proof is in the pudding, play this team with everyone in their strongest positions and they will achieve results. It is a shame it took quite so long to get to this point, but fair play to Caldwell for recognising he was getting it wrong in terms of line up, formation and tactics. We look much more consistent in our performances since we have done this and we are beginning to look like the side Caldwell took over again (Bar the blip at Cheltenham). I think if we had done this throughout GC's tenure we would be 8-10 points better off. But better late than never.

As i said previously it is so much easier to support a manager when you feel he has started and is playing his strongest side, but Kevin McDonald and Harry Kite are so important to our side. I am delighted for Kite, he is really begining to show his potential and really is the major beneficiary of McDonald being here.

A very happy Grecian tonight. Safety is here. But I still think we will take very little from the last 9 games as they are exceptionally tough, but strongest line up and tactics which fit the side is always what you want to see and lets see where it takes us now with no pressure on.

Last edited: