• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City versus Charlton Athletic Matchday Thread

paperclip

I don't get the criticism of Aimson, he was by no means the worst player on the pitch and I am sure he will be tidy once he has played more than one game with the rest of the defence (some of whom WERE awful yesterday).

Thought Charlton were exactly what we are turning out to be this season, a mid-table side capable of some very good play at times, but won't feature in either a promotion or relegation battle and ultimately will end up very much in mid-table.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
"If you look at the data of Exeter they give up big spaces in the front of that back three and we knew we could hurt them...." - Dean Holden post-match.

Even with Harper and Collins sitting deeper they still managed to exploit it. Playing both White and Stansfield is a luxury we can ill afford, and with the benefit of hindsight perhaps Kite +1 of the two might have been the better option to start.

Bridgy 81

I’ve been looking at our league results record so far this season and under our 3 different Managers as far as I can work it out it’s:

Matt Taylor 11 matches (6 home, 5 away).
Home: 3 wins, 1 draw, 2 defeats.
Away: 1 win, 2 draws, 2 defeats.
15 points from a possible 33 = 0.45 per match.
Kevin Nicholson 4 matches (1 home, 3 away).
Home: 1 win.
Away: 1 win, 2 defeats.
6 points from a possible 12 = 0.5 per match.
Gary Caldwell 14 matches (6 home, 8 away).
Home: 1 win, 3 draws, 2 defeats.
Away: 3 wins, 2 draws, 3 defeats.
17 points from a possible 42 = 0.4 per match.

I appreciate that the above can be interpreted in various ways as I haven’t factored in some of the vagaries
e.g. which teams the respective Managers matches were against and what the sequence of their results were.
But doing this I found a few things stood out:
We got off to a good home results start under Matt Taylor, winning 3 of our first 4 matches therefore perhaps giving the team and supporters early confidence we could compete this season in League One.
Kevin Nicholson, albeit for a short period, did a great job results-wise in his spell as Interim Manager.
Gary Caldwell has overseen an impressive set of away results so far, but home results under him are a worry
i.e. just 1 home league win in 6 matches and that in his first one at SJP 3 months ago.
Of the 29 league matches we’ve played so far only 13 have been at home whilst 16 have been away.
So, although it’d be handy for our away results to continue to hold up, it’s clear that Gary needs to find a way of getting more wins in the larger number of home matches we still have to play.

Others reading this may spot things that I haven’t or may think this sort of analysis is meaningless,
but I’ve enjoyed spending a bit of time this morning working it out, so here it is anyway.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Should I watch the full 95 minute match replay on ifollow? I'm confined to home with a nasty virus with time on my hands. And there seem to be a variety of views about yesterday's performance. So having seen the goals should I just watch the 10 minute extended highlights or the full 95 minutes?
I wouldn't bother with the second half!

Alistair20000

I wouldn't bother with the second half!
I think he should take the full punishment.

We had to endure it yesterday 🙁

Grecian Max

I’ve been looking at our league results record so far this season and under our 3 different Managers as far as I can work it out it’s:

I appreciate that the above can be interpreted in various ways as I haven’t factored in some of the vagaries
e.g. which teams the respective Managers matches were against and what the sequence of their results were.
We got off to a good home results start under Matt Taylor, winning 3 of our first 4 matches therefore perhaps giving the team and supporters early confidence we could compete this season in League One.
Kevin Nicholson, albeit for a short period, did a great job results-wise in his spell as Interim Manager.
Gary Caldwell has overseen an impressive set of away results so far, but home results under him are a worry
i.e. just 1 home league win in 6 matches and that in his first one at SJP 3 months ago.
Of the 29 league matches we’ve played so far only 13 have been at home whilst 16 have been away.
So, although it’d be handy for our away results to continue to hold up, it’s clear that Gary needs to find a way of getting more wins in the larger number of home matches we still have to play.

Others reading this may spot things that I haven’t or may think this sort of analysis is meaningless,
but I’ve enjoyed spending a bit of time this morning working it out, so here it is anyway.
I think what we take from this, is we should have followed Geoff's advice and appointed Kev

Bat Fastard

very much relagation home form that

Grecian Max

very much relagation home form that
No it isn't :ROFLMAO: What are you on about?

Bat Fastard

No it isn't :ROFLMAO: What are you on about?
if the above stats are right, that's 1 point a game at home under caldwell - teams usually go down from this league averaging about a point again across both home and away games

fred binneys head

I agree with the Fastard. If we just look at the games we’ve lost under Gary Caldwell, and ignore any games where we’ve won points, then extrapolate that across the whole season, we’d get relegated with no points at all and be the laughing stock of the country.

Caldwell out.