• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hard read that, GG - feel bad now 😅

I do hope Torquay stick around, as much as it's fun to laugh at the demise (similar to ours in a way but in a slower form) I respect your diehards and hope you move on from the ownership and survive. I do think once 2 down became a thing, National League/Conference was an inevitably for TUFC. Arguably one of, if not the smallest clubs in the league was always going to find it difficult.

I was backing you to come back up at Ashton Gate as you're a great away day and in a non patronising way I have a soft spot for Torquay really. You had us on the ropes in 2008 and I truly think we may have suffered a long term malaise in the non league if we hadn't turned that around. Derbies always good fun and whilst it's not the big one it does sting if we lose to you.

I watch Bath occasionally so will pop along to see that one as it was funny seeing Torquay being billy big ******** for a day 😉

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hard read that, GG - feel bad now 😅

I do hope Torquay stick around, as much as it's fun to laugh at the demise (similar to ours in a way but in a slower form) I respect your diehards and hope you move on from the ownership and survive. I do think once 2 down became a thing, National League/Conference was an inevitably for TUFC. Arguably one of, if not the smallest clubs in the league was always going to find it difficult.

I was backing you to come back up at Ashton Gate as you're a great away day and in a non patronising way I have a soft spot for Torquay really. You had us on the ropes in 2008 and I truly think we may have suffered a long term malaise in the non league if we hadn't turned that around. Derbies always good fun and whilst it's not the big one it does sting if we lose to you.

I watch Bath occasionally so will pop along to see that one as it was funny seeing Torquay being billy big ******** for a day 😉
I'm not sure I agree that TQ is a good away day really. The only good thing is you are home quick after the game.

Paignton red

Thanks for the post Granville Gull. I think you have summed up the feelings of many a Torquay fan. At least I seem to have stirred a few with my posts. The decline Of the club was one of the reasons I re evaluated but was by no means the only reason I decided to watch/support City. Maybe others have jumped on the ‘turncoat’ issue and I can fully understand why but I don’t see it quite that way! It is me supporting local football. I used to live within half a mile of Plainmoor, now I live within 2 miles of SJP so at least I am also now doing my bit for climate change by not driving down to Torquay for football!!. And no Grecian Max I will never go to Home Park. 👍

JCWhoosh

Thanks for turning Paignton Red. All that cheer for ECFC is welcome in my opinion. It goes to show that City must be doing something right both on and off the field which will hopefully reap more rewards in our fan base going forward. Everyone has different stories and opinions of why they choose a team but if we can encourage a few more people through the turnstiles then the future is red & white.

tavyred

Earlier in the season l got talking to a father and son pair of Gulls fans on the BB, they said they stopped going to Plainmoor as it was a soul destroying experience and were now confining themselves to the odd away game and quite regular trips to SJP, where they enjoyed the decent football and the atmosphere on the BB.
Football is cyclical, those pesky Gulls will be back!

dontpassback

A very sad read Granville, but very accurate I fear.
But for some poor ref decisions in the play off final,things could have been so different for the gulls,I really hope they bounce back if they got down,because west country football needs its teams as high as possible

SaintJames

Football is cyclical, those pesky Gulls will be back!
Not sure they will Tavy. They are millions in debt they are more likely imo to be liquidated than get back into the football league. Parallels with Hereford who are a similar sized club who are 16th in Nat League North

Rosencrantz

The owner has a history of uprooting sports clubs from their grounds to relocate and, as far as I can see, a very low success rate. Swindon Robins speedway are one such club and are still looking for a new site whilst their old Blunsden track has been closed. Unlike the Falcons it is not the fault of the rugby club.

Radio Free Skaro

Fair shout to the Gulls, over 2000 attendance at PM yesterday , near bottom of the NL table and playing poorly with equally disastrous form . If Exeter city were in a similar position couldn't see many more fans at St James tbh.

DB9

Fair shout to the Gulls, over 2000 attendance at PM yesterday , near bottom of the NL table and playing poorly with equally disastrous form . If Exeter city were in a similar position couldn't see many more fans at St James tbh.
Yep, Nothing quite like supporting your club when they're stuggling. ;)