• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Shrewsbury Town v Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

Trampus

Flattered to deceive unfortunately. I really, really do wish it was otherwise.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Having watched the replays Blackman should have done a lot better with the first two goals. Palmed the ball back into a dangerous area for the first, and slow to get down for what was a shot in the centre of the goal. Poor goalkeeping.
Have you been on Uncle Pate's narcotics again? Quite what did you think he was going to do with the first one, not touch it at all and let the ball fly across the box to Jonny On The Spot at the back post? It's straight across the box and was always going to end up in the danger zone whether he parries it back towards where it came from, parries it out as he did or let it go. He's played percentages and parried it into an area where we should have enough bodies and is then reliant on our defence reacting.
The second one I'd be interested to see from behind the shot to see what view he had with regards bodies in the way as he did appear to be a bit slow going down, there's usually a reason. The obvious one being the sort of view he had.......

Matt Phillips

Have you been on Uncle Pate's narcotics again? Quite what did you think he was going to do with the first one, not touch it at all and let the ball fly across the box to Jonny On The Spot at the back post? It's straight across the box and was always going to end up in the danger zone whether he parries it back towards where it came from, parries it out as he did or let it go. He's played percentages and parried it into an area where we should have enough bodies and is then reliant on our defence reacting.
The second one I'd be interested to see from behind the shot to see what view he had with regards bodies in the way as he did appear to be a bit slow going down, there's usually a reason. The obvious one being the sort of view he had.......
I don't want to hammer him, as I think he's got all the attributes to be a really solid keeper, but he could have done better on all the goals last night, especially the third, which I can't believe no-one's talking about. Keepers are taught to stay up-right, but he dived before their player even took the shot. It went straight into the middle of the goal at chest height, and he'd have saved it had he stood up.

Given Dawson's progression last year, I think a year of playing regular football, and working with Scott Brown, will help him no-end.

Grecianpasty

You're missing the point entirely. In the first goal he literally palmed it into the middle of the 6 yard box. A strong wrist would have palmed it in front of him, not into a more dangerous area. The second goal was struck straight at him from 14 yaeds out. I've seen it enough times to know that they where both poor pieces of goalkeeping.

Agent Andy was completely right. He's a big lad, and as a result will be slower to get to low balls.

fred binneys head

Taylor didnt look too worried about that which was strange.
Are we able to make loan signings or has the window for them now ended too? KMT had a wry smile a week or two back when talking about Alfie Pond rejoining us in the future.

STURTZ

It's the old exeweb see saw, on Sunday we were a brilliant team heading for the play offs, on Wednesday we're a pile of poo in a relegation dog fight. 🙄

Cowshed Grecian

After seeing all the panic and moaning today and reflection on the game, I think there has been an over reaction. At 2-2 we could quite easily have won 3-2. MT decided to go for it, with pretty much 3 up top. It could of gone either way. We were unfortunate but we’ve more than had our fair share of luck over the last 12 months-plenty of last minute winners etc…

grecianfaniow

I agree it was just football that happened at Shrewsbury, we are bound to get found out every now and then. However I think Matt should look at getting George Friend on loan to cover, he is not getting game time at the Brum atm, would love to see another City legend back at the Park. UTC

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's the old exeweb see saw, on Sunday we were a brilliant team heading for the play offs, on Wednesday we're a pile of poo in a relegation dog fight. 🙄
People are reacting to what they see and sometimes we do go from one extreme to another.

In the MK game we played some delightful football and were a very cohesive unit.

Against the Shrews we again played very well for the first 20 minutes but for the remaining 70 minutes we were very in cohesive.

Playing as if half asleep and our play was sloppy and littered with individual errors, giving possession back with misplaced passes all of which in the end proved to be our undoing.

School report could do better must do better.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree it was just football that happened at Shrewsbury, we are bound to get found out every now and then. However I think Matt should look at getting George Friend on loan to cover, he is not getting game time at the Brum atm, would love to see another City legend back at the Park. UTC
Would love to see George back but the reason that he is not getting game time at the present is because he is on the injury list.