• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Football pitches (& running tracks) marked with creosote. A burning sensation if one slid across that on bare flesh, especially if the pitch had been marked out on the morning of a game.

If you can still get the stuff I expect it’s gloves & goggles applying it.

Oldsmobile-88

Drawing the fire...A regular occurrence at my grans house, usually accompanied by the newspaper going up in 🔥

7181FBCE-7EF9-478E-B222-6290F5003335.jpeg

Tim Long

Drawing the fire...A regular occurrence at my grans house, usually accompanied by the newspaper going up in 🔥

View attachment 15069
I always attribute the disappearance to the Clean Air Act of 1968. We had a coal fire before that, but then got hooked on coke in the form of Coalite https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalite before eventually getting a gas fire.

Smokeless zones, now known as Smoke Controlled Areas, still in force in Exeter.

Oldsmobile-88

I always attribute the disappearance to the Clean Air Act of 1968. We had a coal fire before that, but then got hooked on coke in the form of Coalite https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalite before eventually getting a gas fire.

Smokeless zones, now known as Smoke Controlled Areas, still in force in Exeter.

I remember the coalite depot on the former Exmouth Junction site well into the late 1980s. I would collect a couple of cwt of coalite every month in the winter to drop around to a retired former work colleague.

Stelios

Football pitches (& running tracks) marked with creosote. A burning sensation if one slid across that on bare flesh, especially if the pitch had been marked out on the morning of a game.

Proper creosote was banned about 20 years ago because it’s carcinogenic. I can still smell it though!

Oldsmobile-88

Proper creosote was banned about 20 years ago because it’s carcinogenic. I can still smell it though!
Not surprised, deadly stuff. The kiss of death for any plants if it flicked on them whilst painting it on to fencing.

iscalad

FB_IMG_1711560837716.jpg

Grecian2K

There were two types of "creosote" though.
The one made from "coal tar" was indeed evil stuff and was rightly banned (along with the tar itself").
The other was a dilution of oil based bitumen. Indeed, while we still manufactured road materials at Exeter an autumn by-product was from the annual "washout" of the storage towers with kerosene. This was (legally!) sold to various proprietary manufacturers for re-use in their products. Not nearly as "nasty" as the former but still pretty effective as a wood preservative. And wearing of stout impervious gloves was still a must.
Although the stuff sold on to the general market was fairly "weak and watery". If one was lucky enough to get a tub or two of the raw product it kept your fencing preserved (if not as decorative) for much longer!

tea stand

Forgot about this. Always remember our school football pitch and probably all them back then had these creosote lines. At the time I remember feeling that it took away the magic of us pretending that we were real footballers on a real football pitch....that and the square goal posts without nets!

tea stand

View attachment 15069
I still do this on my fire