• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tim Dieng to Gillingham

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Confirmation that Tim was contracted until 2024 from the club

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Confirmation that Tim was contracted until 2024 from the club

Good. That should mean a decent buy out clause (if we negotiated it well - we usually do)

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope someone is coming in with a bit of height. We were sorely lacking a physical presence before Dieng arrived.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope someone is coming in with a bit of height. We were sorely lacking a physical presence before Dieng arrived.
We've offset Dieng's height against MJ's. No net effect on the squad. Genius from GC.

ecfc2000

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!

Leads

It's not the end of the world if we can get in a decent replacement but that's a big if, we know from the summer how hard it was to make signings- I wonder if Caldwell has properly thought this through.

I'd say that our squad is in quite a weird position (maybe this is the same for a lot of L1 clubs) in that it's largely made up IMO of players who have ambitions and a likelihood of playing at a higher level- I'm thinking, Blackman, Key, Collins, Nombe, Stansfield etc and then ones who League One might be a level just a little too high- I think Dieng and Jay fell into that category and then you have the likes of Grounds and a few others. I wouldn't say we have many out and out League 1 standard guys.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder if Caldwell has properly thought this through.
Doesn't sound like he had any thinking to do.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't understand how people are blaming Caldwell on these departures, the players wanted to tie up their futures and play football, so they got their agents to sort something out for them. Blame Agent Andy and his Ilk if you need to blame anybody, end of the day it's how football works!

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not the end of the world if we can get in a decent replacement
My thoughts exactly. If the 150K figure being mentioned is correct and we replace him with someone as good/better and younger then it's a good deal. If we don't replace him and limp through the rest of the season with Rekeem Harper it's a bad deal.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I always worry when players depart before replacements are signed. We have lost two key midfielders and, in my opinion, two players who contributed significantly to the team spirit at SJP. Caldwell seems to be gambling on his ability to get high quality replacements, but I wonder if he appreciates the importance of squad morale.
GC has played at the highest level including international football. I'm pretty sure he appreciates the importance of squad morale. 🤦‍♂️