• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
6th October 1992.

Citizen Smith gets its last airing on main stream terrestrial TV. The series shown( 2nd)was originally broadcasted in 1978. 4 series(30) episodes around the Che Guevara of Tooting, Wolfie Smith & his gang.

A gem of a creation from John Sullivan, with a fine cast, I think my favourites were Shirley’s(Wolfies girlfriend) parents played by Peter Vaughn & Hilda Braid.
Hilda Braid played Nanna Moon in Eastenders, her role in that was not dissimilar to Mrs Johnson in Citizen Smith, a bit scatty.
She had a great line in the episode Spanish Fly about Wolfie possibly going to Granada...” we’ve got a Rover” 😁

In the 3rd series(1979) Sullivan penned a episode called Fools & Horses.

View attachment 9341
Also the day Denholm Elliot died

Some continuity tape from that very evening's viewing (between Omnibus & Casablanca on BBC1 and trailing The Late Show and Live at Brecon on BBC2)

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
On Channel 4 for the matinee is North West Passage(1940) a film set in colonial Canada of 1759.
It is a great film. Cost a fortune to make for the time. Filmed in Colour.. Based on a 1937 novel by Kenneth Johnson.
I believe the film failed to mention the North West Passage at all. A follow-up was planned but never made.

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
The trailer for the Omnibus programme about Ridley Scott was awesome 😁 Hovis meets Sci-Fi 😎

I don’t think I will ever forget the shock of that scene in Alien(1979) when I saw it at the cinema(The Drake at Derry’s Cross)

Oldsmobile-88

I believe the film failed to mention the North West Passage at all. A follow-up was planned but never made.
Yes..The fabled North West Passage where The Franklin Expedition came to grief in 1847/48.

I guess a follow would have been risky. MGM reportedly made a loss overall on the movie. With most of Europe under tyranny at the time, it would have needed more than the North American market to recoup a similar large budget.

Alistair20000

Available on you tube
Thanks for the heads up art. (y) Just watched it.

All those Bulleid light Pacifics and the Class 9’s.

I see Clive North of my food hero Keith Floyd fame was the cameraman so an extra bit of enjoyment to this particular old nostalgic dinosaur

iscalad

I see there are 2 classic 1930s films on BBC2 this afternoon.
If you haven't seen them, highly recommended.
The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.
I'll record both for later watching pleasure.

Grecian2K

Thanks for the heads up art. (y) Just watched it.

All those Bulleid light Pacifics and the Class 9’s.
Seconded there, Al.

I loved Mr Beale's description of the original Bulleid Pacifics: "The female of the species, in her noice green dress". Pure poetry!

The narrator also echoed my own bitterness about the sheer vindictiveness Western Region when they got their mitts on old Southern lines. Not just the S&D but also the "Withered Arm", North Dartmoor route and even the former mainline as far as Salisbury, the latter ludicrously and short-sightedly slashed back to single track for much of its length with indecent haste.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Seconded there, Al.

I loved Mr Beale's description of the original Bulleid Pacifics: "The female of the species, in her noice green dress". Pure poetry!

The narrator also echoed my own bitterness about the sheer vindictiveness Western Region when they got their mitts on old Southern lines. Not just the S&D but also the "Withered Arm", North Dartmoor route and even the former mainline as far as Salisbury, the latter ludicrously and short-sightedly slashed back to single track for much of its length with indecent haste.
Agreed. Lovely words. I assumed the Merchant Navy engines were the alpha males as I think he was referring to the West Countries. Not sure where that leaves the Battle of Britains.:unsure:

Agree very much on the vandalism to the permanent way. 😡

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seconded there, Al.

The Western went through a nostalgic phase in the late 50s, but all that changed when a new General Manager was appointed in the early 60s. He was determined to eliminate steam as soon as possible, which was especially bad news for the wholly-steam S & D.

I met fireman Peter Smith once at the Bluebell Railway. A class 9F was in steam there on that day, and I wondered if they'd known he was coming!

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
"The lady of the locomotives!"