• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Michael Medwin was also boxer(!) Kenneth Connor's manager in Carry On Nurse.
He was one of those actors , seemingly around for ever , who made a living out of uncredited roles , or even if named , small bit parts.For some reason I always remember him in one of his ‘ bigger’ parts , as Ginger Edwards in ‘ The Intruder ‘ with Jack Hawkins.

Oldsmobile-88

2nd October 1982.

On BBC2, Reputations. Bobby Kennedy was the subject of the programme, repeated from June 1980.
Not a regular series. They were made adhoc over 5 years(79-83) Revived by the BBC from the mid 90s

The subject matter in the early set of programmes was mostly politicians, a diverse range from, Leon Trotsky, Rab Butler, Hugh Gaitskell to Lord Beaverbrook & Enoch Powell.
The later commissions since the programmes revival are a more eclectic set of individuals inc from showbiz to royalty.

70834B75-C58D-45D5-A10B-E05F1F86AF27.jpeg08F57FEA-381E-41E9-9199-0A2856B99851.jpeg

DB9

Lost Home Movies Of Nazi Germany, BBC4, Just watching the 2nd part of a 2 part series highlighting WW2 through the lenses of home cine film the German people and those fighting at the front had taken during those dark times, From the adulation of pre war successes in the Sudatenland and then Poland, France and occupying most of Western Europe to the absurd decision to invade the USSR. The 2nd part is showing the Germans trying to have a "Normal" life as the war front gets even closer, Also showing film from troops own cameras on the Eastern Front and the horrors of that particular front, Plus the allied invasion in 1944 and the retreat on the Western Front too.

Available on iplayer if you're interested in this sort of thing.

Oldsmobile-88

Panorama(3rd Oct)
One of the greatest green scams of our time.
Drax Power Station burning wood pellets.Heavy subsidies from the taxpayers of course

I mentioned the madness on the Energy thread last week.

The next scandal that needs investigating is the £200m a year(could soon be £500m)indirectly from consumers that goes to energy companies to turn off wind farms because the grid infrastructure is not up to taking the load on prolonged windy days.
Absurd constraint payments.

The energy bill payers in the UK are looked at by government & suppliers as the biggest mugs in the world.

Mr Jinx

Panorama(3rd Oct)
One of the greatest green scams of our time.
Drax Power Station burning wood pellets.Heavy subsidies from the taxpayers of course

I mentioned the madness on the Energy thread last week.

The next scandal that needs investigating is the £200m a year(could soon be £500m)indirectly from consumers that goes to energy companies to turn off wind farms because the grid infrastructure is not up to taking the load on prolonged windy days.
Absurd constraint payments.

The energy bill payers in the UK are looked at by government & suppliers as the biggest mugs in the world.
I think Michael Moore's doco "Planet of the Humans" (still up on Youtube) exposed the same too. The great Green con - wood burning....supplemented with the burning of tyres!

Oldsmobile-88

I think Michael Moore's doco "Planet of the Humans" (still up on Youtube) exposed the same too. The great Green con - wood burning....supplemented with the burning of tyres!
Another one that you could not make up was the Renewable Heat Incentive or as it was better known the Cash for Ash scandal in Northern Ireland around a decade ago.
A scheme to pay householders to use wood pellets for heating, The unit rate paid was more than the cost of the fuel !
Householders ran their heating 24/7 with that incentive, just opening the windows if it got too warm.
It conservatively cost taxpayers around a half a billion pounds. In most countries in the world that sort of insane profligacy with public money would mean a spell behind bars.

Oldsmobile-88

5th October 1969

The first episode of Monty Pythons Flying Circus was broadcast on BBC1. 4 series(45 episodes)
A couple of the sketches were filmed in Cowick St & Union Rd, Exeter.

Tbh I never really took to it...I’m probably in a small minority 😎

1395A586-4E6D-447F-B7BF-C3D59E696935.jpeg

Alistair20000

Another one that you could not make up was the Renewable Heat Incentive or as it was better known the Cash for Ash scandal in Northern Ireland around a decade ago.
A scheme to pay householders to use wood pellets for heating, The unit rate paid was more than the cost of the fuel !
Householders ran their heating 24/7 with that incentive, just opening the windows if it got too warm.
It conservatively cost taxpayers around a half a billion pounds. In most countries in the world that sort of insane profligacy with public money would mean a spell behind bars.
This is what happens when the government messes with things.

The Renewable Heat Incentive scandal (RHI scandal), also referred to as RHIgate and the Cash for Ash scandal,is a political scandal in Northern Ireland that centres on a failed renewable energy (wood pellet burning) incentive scheme that has been reported to potentially cost the public purse almost £500 million. The plan, initiated in 2012, was overseen by Arlene Foster of the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), the then-Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Investment. Foster failed to introduce proper cost controls, allowing the plan to spiral out of control. The scheme worked by paying applicants to use renewable energy. However, the rate paid was more than the cost of the fuel, and thus many applicants were making profits simply by heating their properties.

Oldsmobile-88

Midnight Express(1978) is available on Netflix.

I shall be watching later. Seen it numerous times since I first watched on release at the Odeon in Union St, Plymouth.
I will never tire of watching it, just superb from start to finish.

The book is excellent too.

Oldsmobile-88

5th October 1983.

The penultimate series of Ask The Family in its usual early evening slot. The show ran for 18 series(275 episodes) Starting in 1967.
Hosted by Robert Robinson(1927-2011) for the entire original run.

A little later is the TV film Night Chase(1970) with the king of pained expression David Janssen. This film loosely gave the idea for Collateral(2004) a good film with Tom Cruise, another who was good at pained expression 😎

6EEFD9A7-CEDC-4567-9BDD-F5DA1E21CA7B.jpegFB4B50DA-9763-4D1D-BAD1-427289903499.jpeg