• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looking at the WC coverage on both terrestrial channels, I’m amazed that ITV still employ Graham Souness & Roy Keane for punditry.
Those pair make me want to turn the volume down.
They are regulars on Sky and i think BT Sport, I quite like their tone sometimes especially Keane, He does say what he thinks.

Mr Jinx

60s radio staying with relatives in Kent.
Radio 1 on 247 (which had been the BBC Light Programmes)
Dial to the right for Radio Caroline and Radio London (Big L)
Dial to the left for Radio Luxembourg.
Shortwave sometimes for American Forces Radio from Germany.
All in glorious tinny mono.

Radio 1 sounded much stronger after the move to 275 and 285 (🎶 "one-derfull Radio One!)
Ah, fond memories of Radio Luxembourg in the late seventies. Used to switch between that and R1 Peel late sessions after sneaking the transistor radio upstairs for bedtime.

DB9

Ah, fond memories of Radio Luxembourg in the late seventies. Used to switch between that and R1 Peel late sessions after sneaking the transistor radio upstairs for bedtime.
Just the reception especially in the evening was awful, Trying to listen to Radio Lux or any footie was just rubbish.

Mr Jinx

Just the reception especially in the evening was awful, Trying to listen to Radio Lux or any footie was just rubbish.
Wasn't it just. But back then we knew little different; it was just how it was. Happy days!

DB9

Wasn't it just. But back then we knew little different; it was just how it was. Happy days!
Indeed, I'm not sure if in the big Cities the reception was much better than rural Holsworthy but you knew after a certain time of day it would be pretty crap.

Oldsmobile-88

In the evenings on MW especially around the low 200m frequency the Radio Tirana call sign annoyed all & sundry across Western Europe drifting in & out. Albania may have been the most primitive of European countries at the time, oddly aligned to Communist China rather than the Soviet Union, but they had powerful radio transmitters.

Tim Long

In the evenings on MW especially around the low 200m frequency the Radio Tirana call sign annoyed all & sundry across Western Europe drifting in & out. Albania may have been the most primitive of European countries at the time, oddly aligned to Communist China rather than the Soviet Union, but they had powerful radio transmitters.

I was introduced to Radio Tirana by a friend at university. Their statistics for the production of their glorious tractor factory was the Albanian equivalent of the shipping forecast.

DB9

Two Doors Down, Very funny 😁

Oldsmobile-88

Ice Cream Wars (2 parts) BBC 1

A look at the turf war in Glasgow in the 1980s which lead to the arson murder of 6 family members.
The 2nd part looks at the trail & convictions of 2 men & the subsequent legal appeals
The Strathclyde Police Force were under huge pressure to quickly catch the perpetrators which in the era usually meant slip ups.

Bridgy 81

They are regulars on Sky and i think BT Sport, I quite like their tone sometimes especially Keane, He does say what he thinks.
Graeme Souness is on TalkSport radio quite frequently too (mostly Fridays I think).
He’s one of the various ‘guest’ pundits on the 10am to 2pm programme with Jim White and Simon Jordan.
As you can imagine him and Jordan get into some verbal altercations from time to time.
I don’t often listen to it live but sometimes go onto the TalkSport YouTube channel where they post a few clips everyday of each of the shows.