• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
March 1984

The Central TV Production The Price is Right is first broadcast....”Come on down”
A original Gameshow idea from the US which was first broadcast by CBS in 1972.
Leslie Crowther would present it for the first 5 series.

023BFFAA-2A38-4166-92C8-4D6429F6FCC5.jpeg

DB9

March 1984

The Central TV Production The Price is Right is first broadcast....”Come on down”
A original Gameshow idea from the US which was first broadcast by CBS in 1972.
Leslie Crowther would present it for the first 5 series.

View attachment 11283
Wasn't The Price is Right a result of the relaxing of how much viewers could win when appearing on a TV game show in the UK? I'm sure before this the prizes had a (Cash) limit. I stand to be corrected though.

Oldsmobile-88

Wasn't The Price is Right a result of the relaxing of how much viewers could win when appearing on a TV game show in the UK? I'm sure before this the prizes had a (Cash) limit. I stand to be corrected though.
The IBA did relax rules on cash prize limits from the early 1980s on, though the UK version of Price is Right had prize money many multiples below the US version.
Popular programmes like Sale of the Century of course used products that were expensive for the era as a way of getting around cash prize regulations.
A easy win for TV companies who would not have had to pay for the product. Manufacturers were all too keen for a bit of free publicity on prime time TV.

DB9

The IBA did relax rules on cash prize limits from the early 1980s on, though the UK version of Price is Right had prize money many multiples below the US version.
Popular programmes like Sale of the Century of course used products that were expensive for the era as a way of getting around cash prize regulations.
A easy win for TV companies who would not have had to pay for the product. Manufacturers were all too keen for a bit of free publicity on prime time TV.
I knew there was a relaxation of the cash prize rules around that time, We could never compete with American game shows for prizes/cash back then, I do remember a programme about the US game shows and those who won huge prizes like houses, Expensive vintage cars, vast amounts of money etc and some of the stories didn't end well for those who won these things, Divorce, Court cases, Even murders in some extreme cases and there was us in the UK watching something like the Generation Game or Sale of the Century winning a few quid, White goods etc or if you were really lucky a car.

Colesman Ballz

Is that the $64,000 question ? :unsure:

Oldsmobile-88

Who is the fella on the far left of the original Superstars TV programme (UK version) E0BD48FC-0BB8-4B76-AB16-AC5E114AA196.jpegDAEC1CC6-4F23-490C-B606-EF21DD28B203.jpegfrom Dec 1973 ?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Roger Taylor?

Oldsmobile-88

Roger Taylor?
Ah yes...I think you are correct.

Not a bad line up of sports finest at the time. David Hemery won that competition.

Oldsmobile-88

29th March 1990

F9C6E560-D472-4182-AD68-CFECFC29935A.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

Benny Hill & the Queens upcoming 60th Birthday feature this week in 1986.
A odd combo on the cover 😁

F645BFF0-0516-4641-B9E5-4AB580B65C10.jpeg