• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Personally I think a six figure sum for a 30 year old who wasn't regularly starting is a good piece of business, and no doubt the money will be used to bolster our squad in the next week.

Agent Andy

Personally I think a six figure sum for a 30 year old who wasn't regularly starting is a good piece of business, and no doubt the money will be used to bolster our squad in the next week.
Correct, and I think some of the players Caldwell is interested in might cost a few quid So it’s about juggling the squad a bit . I’m not sure about the Pond money but I would like to think Gary will be given some of it 👍

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wouldn't cost that much!!

Would cost a lot more than we can currently afford though, I think we are pretty much at our limit but that's a discussion for another day/thread.

1673607100156.png

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster

View attachment 10752
You said top end of league 1, lower end of Championship. Wycombe for example definitely didn't spend tens of millions and I doubt Rotherham do either.

Bristol City have been trying to get into the premier league for ages.

Memphis09

We haven't sacked a manager since the 02/03 season.

Under trust ownership we've never sacked a manager.

I don't want any failure at all, but thus far hugely uninspired by Caldwell and to me he has to prove his ability to be successful with us. Based on the evidence of here and now I am not convinced he is the man to bring this to our club.

Obviously success is relative and let's be honest the club ain't removing him anytime soon, so can only really be hopeful I'm wrong
Largely because we painted ourselves into a corner with a ridiculous contract for Tisdale. He should have walked in the year when we won 3 home games in 12 months.
[/QUOT
Very true about Tisdale that’s why at the time I gave up my season ticket
Since he left the club has moved forward
Think we need to give the new manager time
He did inherit some things Matt has left us with ie players contracts running out
Oh and by the way I have been a season ticket holder now for a couple of years UTC

Memphis09

It’s my opinion from what I’ve seen first hand and information I’ve received.
I’m not taking anything away from Taylor’s achievements and he has gone down in city folklore .
Caldwells literally done another pre season with the lads and it’s starting to pay dividends with fitness and results and I’m sure we have a happy camp . Proof will be in the pudding and it’s only my opinion but it’s way to early to be getting on his back , he’s doing a good job by all accounts.
I do think the players look fitter and are playing the ball forward much quicker
Time will tell
The other main difference between the two GC uses his subs which MT sometimes seemed loathed to do

This is the Tim Dieng thread, but currently seems to be monopolized regarding views on GC.
Football is a results game and despite Gary not playing big Sam for some reason just look at this:
Defeats against teams higher in the division than us; Plymouth (should have got a draw at worst), Ipswich( best team we have played) and Bolton(didn't turn up in the first half).
Defeats against teams currently below us (may not have been when we actually played them); Cambridge, Burton, Charlton, Shrewsbury, Cheltenham and Oxford (league and cup). Does Gary's record stand up against Matt's based on this?
Managing our club is not easy for anyone and if only we could adhere to Churchill's mantra things would be different -' Give us the tools and we'll do the job'. Unfortunately, even with the tools(money) a lot of managers cannot do the job; just ask Steven Gerrard

Cowshed Grecian

Caldwells a far better manager than Taylor and far more experienced .
By all accounts training has stepped up a notch or two and is a lot tougher , the back room team seem to have gelled together well and his man management skills are far superior to Taylor’s.
I mean look at the problems Taylor’s having at Rotherham , lost the dressing room already .
Yeah ok then, that’ll be why there were numerous Championship level clubs queuing up to appoint Caldwell, Rotherham obviously didn’t think he was the better manager.
I shouldn’t of thought so either after his sacking at Partick Thistle whom are the equivalent of a lowly L2 team at best. His stock levels were hardly high, he’s very lucky to get a job again in the EPL.
Experience? Managerial experience-in what capacity? He’s got more experience in being sacked I’ll give you that one.
If its playing level experience that you allude too, Who gives a toss?…I’d rather have Eddie Howe over Gerrard, Lampard or Ince as the next England manager. Taylor is a far more intelligent man than Caldwell.

Man Management skills-how have you drawn this conclusion-what dropping your best player(JB)suddenly for Argyle away? Nombe for no reason for consecutive matches. Starting Kegs over the skipper against Oxford, dropping Dieng to the bench for the last 4 games after initially starting him when he returned to fitness. Incidentally I keep hearing Dieng was some kind of bit part player this season? Absolute rubbish-check the stats, before he got injured against MK Dons he started every game when we were looking good early on. GC started him as soon as he was fit…he was Collins first choice partner.
Then all of a sudden he drops him for the last 4 games.

Funny old thing- January arrives and two of the most influencial players in the squad are happy to jump ship to go to bigger clubs in L2.

I’m sure all our players are loving his man management skills. Does It appear so?

Training was harder when Fabio Capello took over England according to the players, might be harder but doesn’t mean to conclude it’s more effective.

I’m not digging you out Agent Andy, I just don’t agree with any of that.

Yes we have had two close away wins, but the jury is more than definitely still out on him before we start blowing smoke up his arse and discrediting KMT.
This was meant to be a defence of KMT post rather than a berating of GC. As our fickle fans seem to be embracing in his struggles at Rotherham.
I want Caldwell to do well here as he is never going to get sacked regardless of what he does and he will be here as long as he wants, or until his contract expires.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Should we rename the thread "Tim Dieng to Gillingham (part 1) and Posters views of Gary Caudwell (part 2),

Since page 10 there have been two comments concerning Tim going to Gillingham - unbelieveable

Cowshed Grecian

Should we rename the thread "Tim Dieng to Gillingham (part 1) and Posters views of Gary Caudwell (part 2),

Since page 10 there have been two comments concerning Tim going to Gillingham - unbelieveable
I can hardly believe it myself, what a disgrace