• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

Bridgy 81

Welcome Gary.
According to my research he played around 200 games in the SPL, winning the title twice, the Scottish Cup and the Scottish League Cup.
He then played around 100 games and captained a team in the Premier League and won an F.A. Cup.
Whilst he was doing that he won 55 full international caps.
As a Manager he’s had some up and downs but the standout achievements to date are promotion from League One to the Championship and being awarded LMA Manager of the year.
And he’s younger than Matt Taylor.
He’ll do for me.

StudentGrecian

Nothing good on the CV since 2016, even Tisdale had more success since then! Feels like the wrong appointment to me, minimal academy experience also. But it’s here and we’ll go forward and back them.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nothing good on the CV since 2016, even Tisdale had more success since then! Feels like the wrong appointment to me, minimal academy experience also. But it’s here and we’ll go forward and back them.
I agree that his recent CV is concerning but let’s hope his philosophy fits well with our squad and he can prove any doubters wrong.

Good luck, Gary and a couple of good results in the next 8 days will help any doubts to be allayed!!

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Welcome to Gary and wishing him every successs and happiness.

But I'm baffled by the choice for the reasons Student Grecian gives. Very little academy experience to speak of, never permanently lived south of Chesterfield before.

And what do we think of a first photo with hands in pockets? I'm sure Craig will get a much better pose/presentation in the intro video.

abertom

Welcome to Gary and wishing him every successs and happiness.

But I'm baffled by the choice for the reasons Student Grecian gives. Very little academy experience to speak of, never permanently lived south of Chesterfield before.

And what do we think of a first photo with hands in pockets? I'm sure Craig will get a much better pose/presentation in the intro video.
His academy experience is short term roles in between management gigs like he was at Newcastle for a bit and loan manager at Man City. Must admit previously Northerner managers who haven’t had a background down South have tended to get homesick and leave.

Red Bill

Welcome Gary. The club had the sense to take their time and go through a proper recruitment process and you were the one who persuaded them. That's good enough for me and you'll have my full support!

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Since Trust ownership we've never made a bad managerial appointment, in my opinion. No reason to doubt that record until proven otherwise.

Welcome Gary - UTG!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't give a poop about his history with other clubs, having said that we don't know how much academy experience and integrating the youth he has had and how he intends to bring that on which is one of the most important factors as it has proved t be our lifeblood over the years.

Also who is he bringing with him and their experience, to plug the ever increasing gaps with the migrations to Rotherham

But good luck Gary particularly with your first match having to sort out the shitshow from Saturday and then face Derby followed by the scum, talk about a baptism of fire!

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I just hope the doubters don't get on his back if the next couple of games don't go our way.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
He won't be running the academy. Nicholson will. He'll understand the importance of our academy, you don't need academy experience to realise its the life blood of the club.