• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

Since Trust ownership we've never made a bad managerial appointment, in my opinion. No reason to doubt that record until proven otherwise.

Welcome Gary - UTG!
Absolutely spot on. A new manager is always an unknown quantity but they wouldn't appoint anyone unwilling to buy into the philosophy of the club. What we lack in terms of financial clout compared to other clubs we can give in terms of patience and stability. He knows he's at a club that will given him a decent amount of time and he's got a good base to work with in terms of league position.

Welcome to the club Gary.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
He won't be running the academy. Nicholson will. He'll understand the importance of our academy, you don't need academy experience to realise its the life blood of the club.
Exactly. All he has to do is play young players when they're ready to be played, doesn't take 15 years of experience to do that - he can let the academy bosses (Nicholson and co) get on with their jobs.

scottus86

Any idea what formation he likes to set his teams up in? While I think 3 at the back suits our defence the most, with the amount of injuries and lack of back up in that position, I was wondering if a 4-3-1-2 would suit us better at the moment.

tom_ecfc

You can’t write someone off until you see it with your own eyes. Just think of all these ‘failed‘ players that have come here and flourished….Jevani Brown, Nicky Law, Tim Dieng to name just a few over the last few seasons that other teams had written off!

DawlishBouy

In the interview posted here he talks about how valuable it is for young players to play in competitive football, so he buys ino that process. The coach he seems to most admire was Roberto Martinez (his manager at Wigan) who he claims was the first to introduce the idea of a back 3 into English football.
Career record:

Attachments

Well-known Exeweb poster
Since Trust ownership we've never made a bad managerial appointment, in my opinion. No reason to doubt that record until proven otherwise.

Welcome Gary - UTG!
Is absolutely the right answer...

StudentGrecian

He won't be running the academy. Nicholson will. He'll understand the importance of our academy, you don't need academy experience to realise its the life blood of the club.
Agreed, just highlighting that it was a big part of the job advert, so seems a strange one to me personally. Clearly he did enough to impress the decision makers.

Trapdoor

Think this is a good decision. He will be given time if not great resources and he seems to have bought into the clubs long term objectives. To quote Tim: lets go!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Welcome Gary. Wishing you all the best UTC.

Cowshed Grecian

Having watched an hour long interview with Caldwell last night on youtube from about a year ago...he says as a coach he's a fan of the 3-4-3 System with Wing backs he played in at Celtic and also under Roberto Martinez at Wigan and said that's what he likes to do as a coach, play fast attacking football. If this is his philosophy i wonder if this was a major reason for his appointment.