• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Firstly, I'll admit to being a big fan of MJ. Be that as it may, I think one or two people are being a bit quick to write him off.

Just had a quick look at SoccerBase [Matt Jay | Football Stats | Exeter City | Age 26 | Soccer Base] and, by my reckoning, he's played the grand total of 370 minutes of League One football spread over the course of 13 games; in one of which [Oxford] he was introduced at half-time when we were already 3-0 down. Conversely, he's started five cup matches and scored three goals.

Has MJ demonstrated, as others have done, that he can make the step up? No, not yet. Equally, is there conclusive evidence that he won't be able to do so? For me, absolutely not. Of course, others may disagree, but I'd suggest his technical ability [which IMO can only be matched by Jevani Brown] makes him better equipped than others who were with us last season to succeed at this level.

I understand why MJ isn't in the starting line-up at the minute, and have no issue with that, but remain optimistic that if, at some point, he gets a run of games he won't disappoint.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Firstly, I'll admit to being a big fan of MJ. Be that as it may, I think one or two people are being a bit quick to write him off.

Just had a quick look at SoccerBase [Matt Jay | Football Stats | Exeter City | Age 26 | Soccer Base] and, by my reckoning, he's played the grand total of 370 minutes of League One football spread over the course of 13 games; in one of which [Oxford] he was introduced at half-time when we were already 3-0 down. Conversely, he's started five cup matches and scored three goals.

Has MJ demonstrated, as others have done, that he can make the step up? No, not yet. Equally, is there conclusive evidence that he won't be able to do so? For me, absolutely not. Of course, others may disagree, but I'd suggest his technical ability [which IMO can only be matched by Jevani Brown] makes him better equipped than others who were with us last season to succeed at this level.

I understand why MJ isn't in the starting line-up at the minute, and have no issue with that, but remain optimistic that if, at some point, he gets a run of games he won't disappoint.
I’m definitely not writing him off - I was, I am a fan of his. He’s a brilliantly clever player when on form and has been a joy to watch at times.

However objectively he has only really done it for one full season. He flattered to deceive for many years and was arguably lucky to be kept on for a while - MT finally got the best out of him in the non-attended covid season. Last year we adapted to a different shape which meant he had less time on the ball but still looked good up until around this time last year when he go covid. For the standards he set he’s been well below par and that ultimately ended in him being dropped last year and into this season.

I want him to succeed but have been waiting 12 months now for him re emerge and it’s only happened in small flashes.

I don’t think paintpot/tinpotcup matches against u21s and lower opposition’s second are a great example of success either - showing yes he can do it at a certain level, sometimes I guess.

andrew p long

this has come up on another thread, but is probably better placed here

in the article GC is quoted as saying

'Every team has to keep on evolving n every transfer window and we are no different. When that time comes, we have to be ready to sheet if we have to'

What on earth does that mean?

CC

'Every team has to keep on evolving n every transfer window and we are no different. When that time comes, we have to be ready to sheet if we have to'

Sheet or bust?

Memphis09

I don't think Matty Jay has been poor at all. I do think he hasn't shown his best for a while but form often fluctuates. I wonder how much being a new dad has effected his energies. New babies are notorious for causing a lack of sleep but also there can be a new take on life with its extra responsibilities that focus energies again. I don't read any hidden messages in his article either. I think it's always possible to see controversy in an article if that's what you want to see.
Sorry but MJ has been poor since the middle of last season
Nothing to do with new babies
Let’s be honest we have far better players than him available
Bench warmer at best
If he is out of contract end of season think he will be gone

Memphis09

Ok at league two but not league one I am afraid
Yes I never been a fan of his but don’t mine being proved wrong

Memphis09

I’m definitely not writing him off - I was, I am a fan of his. He’s a brilliantly clever player when on form and has been a joy to watch at times.

However objectively he has only really done it for one full season. He flattered to deceive for many years and was arguably lucky to be kept on for a while - MT finally got the best out of him in the non-attended covid season. Last year we adapted to a different shape which meant he had less time on the ball but still looked good up until around this time last year when he go covid. For the standards he set he’s been well below par and that ultimately ended in him being dropped last year and into this season.

I want him to succeed but have been waiting 12 months now for him re emerge and it’s only happened in small flashes.

I don’t think paintpot/tinpotcup matches against u21s and lower opposition’s second are a great example of success either - showing yes he can do it at a certain level, sometimes I guess.
Think that is a spot on assessment of him

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)

I think this is all fair and still think MJ has a part to play, but do feel it will be difficult for him to become a regular starter moving forward.

Last season MJ played primarily as a #10 in behind Brown and Nombe. However this season it was clear that MT thought he needed to play with a more traditional midfield three to be more solid which meant MJ missed out as Brown and Nombe were our strongest front two. I actually think MJ's strongest position is in a front two where he plays just in behind a forward, but as I've said the form of Brown has meant he wasn't going to play in that role, at least as a starter.

Now with the form of Stanno we have seen Brown play as a #10 within a midfield 3 with Nombe and Stanno up front which has hindered MJ even more. At times (Forest Green and Barnsley away) it has worked really well, but there are other times where we can look a little light in midfield when Brown plays there, hence why he probably was on the bench versus Plymouth.

For me MJ is still an important member of the squad and shouldn't be written off, but I do think he may find it hard moving forward to play as regularly as he would like.

Spoonz Red E

If he means 'deal sheet' then it suggests pushing a transfer as close to the window deadline as possible.
It's a way of letting the EFL know that a transfer has been agreed between the two clubs and players but the fine detail is still being worked on.
However there's a chance 'sheet' could also be generic jargon in the football biz for any transfer.

Andy_H

Or it could be just he has a strong Jock accent. Try saying 'sheet' with a Jock accent!