• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Sam Stubbs (and Cheerio)

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why would we have kept Stubbs with Diabate, Hartridge and Aimson, Sweeney and Grounds? For all we know Stubbs will require his knee draining within a week. Of course everyone could forsee Chieck getting injured. Aimson is a long term solution in place of a player with a history of injuries who was on a sizeable wage. It was excellent business at the time to offload him. The liklihood of him being offered another deal was minimal. Move on
Imho we needed both assuming Stubbs was fit as he's ahead of all of our centre backs in terms of ability and quality. To confirm I am not criticising us moving Stubbs on if we've decided he's not fit enough etc. But I would've personally taken the gamble for the sake of six months because if we could've gotten 15 games out of him his quality would've made a real difference to our season.

We also play 3 centre backs on the pitch

My concern though is we've invested too heavily in Aimson when he's not much ahead of what we have if he's ahead at all.

Last edited:

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Imho we needed both assuming Stubbs was fit as he's ahead of all of our centre backs in terms of ability and quality. To confirm I am not criticising us moving Stubbs on if we've decided he's not fit enough etc. But I would've personally taken the gamble for the sake of six months because if we could've gotten 15 games out of him his quality would've made a real difference to our season.

We also play 3 centre backs on the pitch

My concern though is we've invested too heavily in Aimson when he's not much ahead of what we have if he's ahead at all.
The facts though MJP suggest the opposite. Aimson was a mainstay of the Bolton side this season and in the last three seasons has played 81 times in League One sides. I can't see how anyone could argue that Aimson isn't an upgrade on all our CB's including Stubbs. To get a player of his calibre here would have required all of Stubb's wage plus more due to his pedigree not his potential (like Stubbs). Bolton are now focussing on building a team which can compete at Championship level and I assume they see Aimson as L1 level (which is our gain)

StudentGrecian

The facts though MJP suggest the opposite. Aimson was a mainstay of the Bolton side this season and in the last three seasons has played 81 times in League One sides. I can't see how anyone could argue that Aimson isn't an upgrade on all our CB's including Stubbs. To get a player of his calibre here would have required all of Stubb's wage plus more due to his pedigree not his potential (like Stubbs). Bolton are now focussing on building a team which can compete at Championship level and I assume they see Aimson as L1 level (which is our gain)
I think Aimson is a great signing, but to suggest he was a mainstay in the Bolton side this season isn’t a fact like you portray. He played the last 8 before we signed him because they had injuries, but only appeared in 3 of their first 21 league fixtures this season. Hence why Bolton allowed us to sign him.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Aimson is a great signing, but to suggest he was a mainstay in the Bolton side this isn’t a fact like you portray. He played the last 8 before we signed him because they had injuries, but only appeared in 3 of their first 21 league fixtures this season. Hence why Bolton allowed us to sign him.
OK mainstay in hindsight was incorrect but good enough to play in a successful Bolton team is something Stubbs wouldn't be doing

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
As pointed out elsewhere he wasn't this season. When we signed him I said he's probably better than what we have, but not much better and won't be better in 12 months time.

He's played two games for us and was in some way at fault for all 3 goals, along with Sweeney.

Last week against Charlton he had a terrible debut. He is not the marquee signing people are portraying, decent and reasonable, but not a major upgrade on what we have and his first two games he hasn't covered himself in glory. I do think he will improve on those 2 appearances to date but every time he's in a side which is higher to mid table in league one he leaves them for a side lower in the league

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's played two games for us and was in some way at fault for all 3 goals, along with Sweeney.
Against Charlton he really wasn't. Sparkes lost his man for the first. Caprice screwed up for the second 🤷

red1

Personally think hes done ok. Not outstanding but does what needs to be done without frills

tom_ecfc

Not sure how it was his fault no one shut down the player who played the ball through and not his fault that Sparkes didn’t block or track his man?

Please could you explain how Charlton’s first goal was his fault?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
As pointed out elsewhere he wasn't this season. When we signed him I said he's probably better than what we have, but not much better and won't be better in 12 months time.

Last week against Charlton he had a terrible debut. He is not the marquee signing people are portraying, decent and reasonable, but not a major upgrade on what we have and his first two games he hasn't covered himself in glory. I do think he will improve on those 2 appearances to date but every time he's in a side which is higher to mid table in league one he leaves them for a side lower in the league
You judge rather quickly MJP

Any assessment should be a over a decent period of time.

Like Josh Key being useless.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You judge rather quickly MJP

Any assessment should be a over a decent period of time.

Like Josh Key being useless.
Exactly - typical Exeweb rush to judgement. Stubbs plays one game so lots of people assume he's now going to stay fit for the rest of the season and it was a mistake to release him. Aimson has a slightly shaky first couple of games and lots of people already assume he's useless and we shouldn't have signed him.