• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Sam Stubbs (and Cheerio)

CWH-NYC_

Stubbs senior on the BBC text site doing the Man U vs Everton game, somebody could ask him how his son is doing

Fareham Grecian

Stubbs senior on the BBC text site doing the Man U vs Everton game, somebody could ask him how his son is doing
Well since he was on the bench last time, I imagine he’s doing pretty well

Cowshed Grecian

Asked him. 3 weeks

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was also on talksport this morning discussing the ongoings at Everton. He's had a busy day of media.

Stubbs junior though is back on the grass, rapidly building fitness, and will play 25 mins against FGR at the next home game.

If he plays 15 to 20 games between now and the end of the season we should offer him another contract. I remember thinking last season after he'd played 7 or 8 games that he was the best cenner half I've see at City in 35 years of watching. He's that good and is a true winner and great communicator.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was also on talksport this morning discussing the ongoings at Everton. He's had a busy day of media.

Stubbs junior though is back on the grass, rapidly building fitness, and will play 25 mins against FGR at the next home game.

If he plays 15 to 20 games between now and the end of the season we should offer him another contract. I remember thinking last season after he'd played 7 or 8 games that he was the best cenner half I've see at City in 35 years of watching. He's that good and is a true winner and great communicator.
I hope you're right Snoop.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

I'm with you. However, even if Sam plays 15 to 20 games between now and the end of the season I fear it's odds against him getting a new contract.

One thing that might help him a bit is that you'd assume his dad is a pal of Gary Caldwell, having played with him for Scotland, which might make him a tiny bit more inclined to offer him something.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good news all round as Diabate is a much better player with Stubbs beside him. Thats when the 2 play together of course.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm with you. However, even if Sam plays 15 to 20 games between now and the end of the season I fear it's odds against him getting a new contract.

One thing that might help him a bit is that you'd assume his dad is a pal of Gary Caldwell, having played with him for Scotland, which might make him a tiny bit more inclined to offer him something.
You're well off piste here, Egg - Alan Stubbs certainly never played for Scotland! - although both Caldwell & Stubbs played for Celtic, Stubbs left five years before Caldwell joined. Although both had spells at the Hibs, Stubbs managing at Easter Road for a couple of seasons, that spell was a decade after Caldwell had left Leith.

Like most supporters I'd welcome Sam back, hopefully for the remainder of the season, as this could give us an outside chance of the play offs. Only time I've seen a centre forward get the better of him was in the Vale L2 ' championship ' game. Maybe he was injured, but James Wilson did seem to get the better of him. Sam was subbed in that game.

SaintJames

From Caldwell's pre match interview he said about Sam “But I want to stress that he is a long, long way from being available to come on the pitch or start a game. We will potentially look to get a bounce game for him and others, but Sam in particular, to get him a game and see what he’s like in that match environment and slowly integrate him back into the team.”

Doesn't look like we will see him before the aforementioned three weeks judging by that!