• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Winging it

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
As an alternative to recent political bunfighting an opportunity to show some appreciation for actions of politicians you wouldn't normally support.

My world view I'd say is left wing (don't worry - I'll insist on a small font on my headstone so they can add 'loony', 'extreme' & 'whinging' as is de rigueur nowdays) and when I've voted it's mostly been Labour.

But ...

Well done John Major for his Northern Ireland secret talks.
Well done David Steele for his Abortion Act private members bill.
Well done Nick Clegg for the raising of the tax threshold for low earners.
Well done David Cameron for supporting gay marriage.

Anyone else feeling magnanimous?

Well done 'New Labour' for promising and delivering a National Minimum Wage without negatively impacting on employment figures.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well done to Labour for not sleepwalking us into the Euro when it was the 'in thing' despite considerable pressure from all sides to join the club.

iscalad

Well done Harold Wilson for giving me a £6 a week payrise in the 70s. Only good thing Labour ever did really.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Well done to Gordon Brown for Bank of England independence.

Avening Posse

Michael Martin for invoking the Parliament Acts of 1911 and 1949 to enable the House of Commons to overrule the House of Lords and ban hunting in 2004

Grecian2K

Well done to Gideon for really ****ing off the assorted whining fat cats and introducing a mandatory (or at least an approximation of the) so called Living Wage" for those not even born with one, let alone TWO, "silver spoons". (Although a minus for still striving to sell off what's LEFT of the plebeians' share of OUR remaining scrapings of silver)

Mind you, wonder who he borrowed the idea from?

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Oh, and well done Ben Bradshaw for all of his efforts at the time of our greatest need (not least, for Santos)

ECFC traveller

Well done to Cameron for actually keeping his promise before the election to carry out an EU referendum....

Although I'm still not all that sure it'll happen.

tavyred

Well done to Cameron for actually keeping his promise before the election to carry out an EU referendum....

Although I'm still not all that sure it'll happen.
I agree.
I can see Cameron on behalf of the vested interests pulling the EU vote, especially if the migrants crisis has us potentially voting to leave in big numbers. It'll finish Cameron, but seeing as he's not fighting the next election, he's the ideal fall guy.