• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Women's World Cup

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
At it's peak 11.7m watched the game, just over 50% of the TV audience. I wonder if the FA can capitalise on this interest, or will it get hidden again on pay for TV?

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Like the men's team, England's womens team came up short when facing quality opposition. The US team had the players to go up a gear when needed, England played well but couldn't match the US. The women's game in the US is well supported and funded, Ours although not bad is still in its infancy, Crowds average around the 1000 but with big teams having a woman's team it'll only get stronger, Maybe in four years we can reach a final and win something

Colesman Ballz

Talk today of the Premier League taking over the WSL from the FA, which presumably means that they fore see it becoming a major money spinner !

IndoMike

I agree with some punters who have commented that Neville was wrong to change a winning formation by taking Parris off the wing and moving her inside. Parris always plays on the right wing for England and is quite effective there, plus she does cover back. This change weakened our attack and strengthened USA's down their left side. I think it was too important a match to play around with a winning formation. He at least did recognize that by reverting back to the usual formation at half-time, but it meant one half was wasted.

Last edited:

elginCity

The girls are very fit, fnar, they can shift, and although smaller in stature than men, it seems there’s always acres of space all over the pitch, no congestion. Strange.

Love how they clatter into each other, quite strongly at times, but there’s no hint of aggression, recrimination or histrionics, they just get on with it. Once the chasing pack catch up with the US in terms of technique and skill levels, the women’s game will become very watchable and marketable. Hopefully not to the point that it ever turns their heads.

DB9

So we end up 4th, A dodgy VAR call is the finest of margins, Second half though Sweden knew how to manage the game and were brilliant in defence, England go out with a whimper but reaching the Semi final is good but they need to up their game if they're ever to win a trophy, Not quite up to the bigger teams standard yet

Antony Moxey

VAR is slowly killing the game IMO. The whole point was to eliminate glaring errors, but if you have to watch an incident multiple times though multiple angles then the ‘error’ isn’t glaring. I don’t mind it for absolutes like offside or whether the ball crosses a line, but the ‘handball’ against the English forward ruling out an equaliser was ridiculous.

Stelios

VAR is slowly killing the game IMO. The whole point was to eliminate glaring errors, but if you have to watch an incident multiple times though multiple angles then the ‘error’ isn’t glaring. I don’t mind it for absolutes like offside or whether the ball crosses a line, but the ‘handball’ against the English forward ruling out an equaliser was ridiculous.
Yep. Years of managers, players and pundits losing their mind over tight marginal calls that didn't happen to go their way on a particular occasion is now going to end up destroying pretty much everything we love about the game. The raw emotion. That moment of ecstasy/joy/despair.

Hang on. Was it 5mm offside? Did it graze their fingernail? Who gives a ****

There was never any onus on getting managers and players to stop cheating/diving either. It's always "the ref's fault". And here we are.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Anyone remotely interested in watching the final ?

PeteUSA

Anyone remotely interested in watching the final ?
So you're sharpening up your argument provoking attitude for the new season already? Its been an excellent tournament and I've barely missed a game; much like many other soccer fans throughout the world. An excellent advert for the game, although I doubt if it'll help their game unfortunately; All back to work next week.