• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

World Cup : Qatar Nov/Dec 2022.

Boyo

I've got no issue with getting over excited, surely that's part of the fun? It's the doom mongers who annoy me - we are all quite aware there are better sides than us in the world, stop trying to spoil the fun. Life is pretty hard for many at the moment, if we can't celebrate scoring a few goals albeit against poor opposition it's a bad job - not much else to cheer at the moment.
Don't get me wrong, I was delighted that we put three past Wales and comfortably qualified for the knockouts. However, any decent manager at any level, will talk about not getting too high when you win and not too low when you lose. As mere fans that's not our job, but IMO it's those that are swinging from the chandeliers when we win, that turn into the doom mongers when we lose.

Boyo

If England beat France, then I'll have been proven wrong and, like Simon Jordan, I'll have to doff my cap.
Simon Jordan's analysis of Southgate is based purely on results without any appreciation of performances or context. His view is that every team we have beaten under Southgate have been dross and the manager was unable to affect the semi-final and final that we lost. Southgate and the team came home from Russia, not as heroes, but with pride re-installed and valuable experienced gained (which was the aim). We lost against Italy on penalties. We all know that pens are executing a skill and it's not merely luck, but it's a defeat by the thinnest of margins against a team that had already won a shootout in the semis. Stuart Pearce's comments are spot on.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Simon Jordan's analysis of Southgate is based purely on results without any appreciation of performances or context. His view is that every team we have beaten under Southgate have been dross and the manager was unable to affect the semi-final and final that we lost. Southgate and the team came home from Russia, not as heroes, but with pride re-installed and valuable experienced gained (which was the aim). We lost against Italy on penalties. We all know that pens are executing a skill and it's not merely luck, but it's a defeat by the thinnest of margins against a team that had already won a shootout in the semis. Stuart Pearce's comments are spot on.
And there you have it in a nutshell. England fans usually either take the Jordan view or the Pearce view. Most of my friends are in one camp or the other and it always leads to heated debates.

With friends that are City fans, I find those in the Pearce camp are the ones that defended Tisdale to the very end. Those in the Jordan camp were Tisdale-critical some years before his exit.

PS - Southgate reminds me of Tisdale a lot, and vice versa.

Last edited:

iscalad

So Belgium on their way home. How many chances did Lukaku miss?

Alistair20000

So Belgium on their way home. How many chances did Lukaku miss?
Thought they were nailed on to get out of the Group

iscalad

Thought they were nailed on to get out of the Group
Did you have a bet on it? 😀

Rosencrantz

Lukaku = Keegan (1982)?

Alistair20000

Did you have a bet on it? 😀
No too busy prepping the Quiz :)

Mr Jinx

Lukaku = Keegan (1982)?
Lukaku = Akinfenwa (2021)?

Rosencrantz

Lukaku = Akinfenwa (2021)?
Akinfenwa would have scored at least one of those chances.