• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Youth 22/23

Squeezebox

Any info on Tom Donati - not a name I have seen until recently.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
New lead U18 coach. Bit of information about his previous here.

DawlishBouy

see posts 329 (page 33) and 363 (page 37)

AmberRed

Hmmm. McNab was listed in the academy scholars (as either U17 or U16) by DB at post 74 on this thread. I can't remember him playing for the U18s in recent times (or since then?). Match reports in 2023 have had Dylan Shanahan in goal for the U18s and on one occasion Dan Layer. Pre Christmas it was of course mainly Sowden and Lee.

Two possibilities . Either we wanted him to stay and Leicester will have to stump up (limited, formula) compensation under the EPPP. Or alternatively we released him (in my field of work there were often enthusiastic articles about individuals who had been 'poached' when the reality was very different)

Anybody know the facts on this? (I know nothing!)
From what I was told from a parent, he turned down a scholar and has gone to Leicester on a free! However, this doesn't ring true from how I believe it works! If we offered a scholar then we would be due compensation, if we released him then he could go for free!

Rosencrantz

From what I was told from a parent, he turned down a scholar and has gone to Leicester on a free! However, this doesn't ring true from how I believe it works! If we offered a scholar then we would be due compensation, if we released him then he could go for free!
Technically Ethan was a "free transfer" as he was out of contract, but as a compensation package couldn't be agreed the compensation was set by tribunal. Ben Chrisene would also be a "free transfer" but compensation was agreed between the clubs. That's if a scholarship was offered I believe. If he were to move before though, it would probably be EPPP compensation.

DawlishBouy

McNab played 2 games for the under 18's last August conceding 5 goals.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Technically Ethan was a "free transfer" as he was out of contract, but as a compensation package couldn't be agreed the compensation was set by tribunal. Ben Chrisene would also be a "free transfer" but compensation was agreed between the clubs. That's if a scholarship was offered I believe. If he were to move before though, it would probably be EPPP compensation.
Didn't Ethan wait until he was 17 to sign for Chelsea which allowed us to offer him a pro contract? I guess that makes a big difference.

Rosencrantz

Didn't Ethan wait until he was 17 to sign for Chelsea which allowed us to offer him a pro contract? I guess that makes a big difference.
No. He was 16 when he left.

andrew p long

It was said at the time that timing of Ethan's move was significant. It was 1 July when he signed for Chelsea. If that is significant then it would (I think) mean we are only entitled to EPPP formula rather tribunal determined compensation.

andrew p long

2nd Year scholars (under 18)
Harry Lee [pro-first team squad]
Sonny Cox [pro-first team squad]
Aamir Daniels
Joe O’Connor
Ed James
Harrison King
Gabriel Billington
Mitch Beardmore
Alfie Clark
Scott Simmons
Pedro Borges
Joe Wragg
George Spencer
Andrew Sowden

This the list that I've been working from as the current U18s. That's 14 players. Tough decisions, even if we retain as professionals a record breaking 8/9.