• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Youth 22/23

DawlishBouy

EFL Youth Alliance League South West Division final table:
PWDLFADP
1AFC Bournemouth18133244222242
2Plymouth18123351183339
3Portsmouth18122445261938
4Oxford1885540271329
5Swindon189183442-828
6Exeter186663739-224
7Newport1843113148-1715
8Bristol R1835102240-1814
9Cheltenham1835102544-1914
10Forest green1823131740-239

Cit’s opponents in EFL Youth Alliance Merit League Two will be:
Brentford, Bristol Rovers, Forest Green, Leyton Orient, Mk Dons, Newport County, Northampton and starting today away to Cheltenham.

Simba3011

1-1 draw with Alfie Cunningham scoring the goal.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Match report from Saturday

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Match report from Saturday

I wonder what is meant by the cryptic 'pre match preparations were severely hampered' Did the coach break down?

Agent Andy

I see argyle are moving their academy to a very ambitious project at Brickfields and pumping 11 million into it , covered pitches and all the facilities for CAT 2 . I can see our academy being left behind and argyle having the pick of all the local talent, or can we move to CAT 2 , all we’re missing is a dome covered pitch .

denzel

£11mn? Where are they getting their money from?

tom_ecfc

I see argyle are moving their academy to a very ambitious project at Brickfields and pumping 11 million into it , covered pitches and all the facilities for CAT 2 . I can see our academy being left behind and argyle having the pick of all the local talent, or can we move to CAT 2 , all we’re missing is a dome covered pitch .
Dosh for Dome?

Not so sure we should be overtly concerned, as I feel confident we can offer young players what a lot of other academies don't and that is a structure where players, if good enough, can progress into the first team. Imagine if we had the quality loanees Argyle have had this season and if so where would our academy players be, sitting on the bench at best. Our structure in this respect is a great selling point.
A few seasons back I read an article regarding a Championship club which had just closed their academy; the reason given was that it was cheaper to get quality young players via the tribunal system rather than invest themselves. Says a lot about greed and the tribunal 'system'.At least Plymouth don't appear to be following that policy.

denzel

Not so sure we should be overtly concerned, as I feel confident we can offer young players what a lot of other academies don't and that is a structure where players, if good enough, can progress into the first team. Imagine if we had the quality loanees Argyle have had this season and if so where would our academy players be, sitting on the bench at best. Our structure in this respect is a great selling point.
A few seasons back I read an article regarding a Championship club which had just closed their academy; the reason given was that it was cheaper to get quality young players via the tribunal system rather than invest themselves. Says a lot about greed and the tribunal 'system'.At least Plymouth don't appear to be following that policy.
Cooper is from their academy though, isn't he? We've benefitted in the past from picking up players in the Torbay/ Newton Abbot area, let's hope we can continue being attractive to them.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I doubt that the club could move to category 2 status any time soon. While from a facilities standpoint we may only be missing the dome covered pitch, it would be the cost of the added infrastructure that would be extremely difficult. I believe the required amount of coaches and resources needed to maintain a category 2 academy would probably end up costing the club close to an extra million per year to run.

Not saying it wouldn't be great to have, but not sure it is something high on the agenda as things stand.