• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust Elections 2019

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think someone has already suggested it but will those candidates who whish to, have their own election thread on here so members can put questions to them. Seem to remember this happening at least once before.
Perhaps one of the admins could contact the candidates and invite them? I for one would certainly like to hear from them.
Seconded.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Personally I'm not resistant to joining the Trust. For me it's just a bit of laziness and the hassle of sending money out of the country in which I live. Everything is extremely bureaucratic here and I already have to deal with enough.
As you say, it's only 2 quid a month so it's hardly prohibitive. My guess is that many are the same : just can't get up off their arses and sort it.
I will say I'm a bit hard-headed too and the more people say (and it"s been said) that non-Trust members are not real supporters or have no right to comment about this and that then the less likely I am to join.
No arm twisting from me Mike. I have several friends who have never joined, along with one who joined a few months ago after having resisted for many years.

I also have a young friend I got to know on Facebook who lives in Australia. He has been following City for about six years after finding us on a computer game. He recently joined the Trust via PayPal, along with his friend, and they're both hoping to come over for a few games next year.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Re Bill and John's posts... done :)

Last edited:

IndoMike

Think someone has already suggested it but will those candidates who whish to, have their own election thread on here so members can put questions to them. Seem to remember this happening at least once before.
Perhaps one of the admins could contact the candidates and invite them? I for one would certainly like to hear from them.
I suggested it in post 27, Bill. Unfortunately the idea wasn't implemented.

IndoMike

No arm twisting from me Mike. I have several friends who have never joined, along with one who joined a few months ago after having resisted for many years.

I also have a young friend I got to know on Facebook who lives in Australia. He has been following City for about six years after finding us on a computer game. He recently joined the Trust via PayPal, along with his friend, and they're both hoping to come over for a few games next year.
Yes, Pete. I know not you.

YasWestern

I have just made a thread for people to ask me questions if they wish!

Legohead

Banned
Can i just ask why, other than laziness and cost as to why somebody WOULDN'T join the Trust?

i8cornwall

Can i just ask why, other than laziness and cost as to why somebody WOULDN'T join the Trust?
Came out of it due to it starting to resemble an old boys club. Hopfuly some of the younger and new faces can change that now.

Legohead

Banned
Came out of it due to it starting to resemble an old boys club. Hopfuly some of the younger and new faces can change that now.
I can see how that may have arisen i8cornwall. I also find it dubious when individuals around the 'top table' of an organisation all appear to be suit wearing men of a certain age. For all the experience they may bring, they also can stifle progress and growth and inadvertently perhaps promote a culture of exclusivity and insularity.

Having said all that. I am looking for certain aspects from a trust candidate that sit alongside my own requirements as a fan, a fan with hidden disabilities, my values as a person and what i demand of the club as a paying customer and Richard Knight seems to be at the top of my list at the moment although i'm undecided. From his photo on the manifesto page on the trust website he also looks like someone who would fit well into an 'old boys club' (no offence intended) but what's important is that we get people in positions of responsibility who have 100% integrity and who put the fans and the club first.

I wouldn't necessarily vote for a younger candidate just because they are young and can appeal better to younger fans although i can appreciate they may be less set in their ways and amenable to change and open to ideas as a result of their youth.

Last edited:

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Because, sometimes, people have different ideas of what it should be.

I was a trust member for most of the time I lived abroad, as it was my only real way of supporting the club, despite holding many reservations about it.

Since the club was "saved", and the trust had served it's initial purpose, it has done, and achieved, relatively little. It's lack of ambition, and vision, beyond safety, is why we are where we are today. Rather than donating collected cash, (and I see the membership fee of £2pm as a lack of progression, not a selling point) to refurbish washing machines at the cat and fiddle (this is not real, just an example of how we hear it's used), it should be growing a business portfolio, employing people to generate income for the benefit of the club and local community. I believe @hern was an advocate of this, many years ago.

The club is safe and standing on it's own two feet, and the trust should be more than a safety net.