• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Fc v Swindon Town Matchday Thread

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
Is it fair to say you lot will get fed up with him if you have a similar season next time around?
I think it is all about the 'acceptable' position of our club. We have been around as a club for a while and this is our zenith so far. Some similar clubs do go further but rarely stay there. Tisdale will move on at some point because I am sure we are as far as Exeter City as a club can go and he has bigger inspirations. Many will slang off this opinion, but to be honest, it's true. I generally think you are a bigger club....just!!;)

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Roberts was AMAZING for us. Head and shoulders above everyone else on the park. He was, quite literally, the only good thing about watching City at that time. Or at least that's how I remember feeling about it. There was a certain amount of tedious inevitability though, because he was clearly so much better than everyone else it was obvious that he would never be able to stay with us and sure enough he did move on and city were worse off without him. And the rest as the say is now history... (and a book.)

Last edited:

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Class act, when Roberts played you were guaranteed at least one clean breakaway and shot (even when sometimes he should have passed). Very fast, tricky with a powerful shot in both feet. Loved him.

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
Is this thread slowly becoming as disjointed as our defence (on occassions!)?

Willy Nilly

What was the number from Swindon?

Grecian_Jay

Well it was nice to finally see City win at home at last. It was also nice to see arelatively entertaining game of football for a change aswell instead of the dross that has been served up on my last three visits.
Really? I thought Tuesday night was as tedious as the previous 6 months!

But now we're safe we can play some carefree football and sweep the teams of the park, I have no doubt this will happen ^o)

STURTZ

I'm beginning to lose faith in you Jay:D

Last season you moaned that we were lucky to survive with the last kick of the game, this season we're safe with seven matches left and still you moan!

It might be possible to speculate that you will never really be happy, I feel for you.

Alistair20000

Just been reading the Express & Error report of The Cheese's rambling post match comments.

He saw "positives all over the place." :cool:

Leaving aside the fog I did not see much that was positive at all except the three points against one of the worst outfits to visit us this season.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
Leaving aside the fog I did not see much that was positive at all except the three points against one of the worst outfits to visit us this season.
Well that in itself is better than the 3 points we dropped at home to Stockport last season.

Move on.

I have an associate who is a scout for a Championship club, who described Swindon as a team that plays 'fantastic football - badly'. This I suppose was the root of the problem that Paul faced.

Swindon play with a very expansive style. High and wide wingers who try to stretch the play and create space for their forwards. I believe our tactics were to stay narrow and compact in order to nullify any available space for their forwards. To my mind this worked quite well, however did have an affect on us going forward.

The game was not the best I have seen, but was by no means the worst either.

An interesting thought to sign off on (from my associate championship scout). 'How many footy fans leave a stadium after a game, happy in the knowledge that they saw a good game of football but their team has lost'.

I would wager far less than those that would have preferred to have seen a poor game and seen their team win.