• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Have we gone about as far as we can go ?

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Quietly musing on the Harley dabacle , I wonder if we've now reached the heights as far as our league status is concerned. We've done very well lately and if we can establish ourselves in League 1 then this is , of course , an excellent result. However , because of our limited finances and our Westcountry location can we really expect any more now. It's not that we don't have the ambition , just our circumstances won't permit it . I started thinking about this because of our inability ( can be a good thing in some ways I know ) to be able to offer players anything other than short term contracts. This has obviously backfired badly on us with Harley and I wonder how many other key players are on our books now whose contracts also run out in the near future and who won't negotiate a fresh one. In other words , given this is the way that we are forced to operate , how can we ever expect to build up a stable team capable of making the push on to the Championship. As soon as a good combination ( almost this year with just a few tweeks ) comes along it's broken up. And we also have to sell good players like Moxey and Friend to balance our books which adds to the equation . Then, I suppose it's the same for 75% of the rest of the teams in the league , no way round it I guess.

Alistair20000

Quietly musing on the Harley dabacle , I wonder if we've now reached the heights as far as our league status is concerned. We've done very well lately and if we can establish ourselves in League 1 then this is , of course , an excellent result. However , because of our limited finances and our Westcountry location can we really expect any more now. It's not that we don't have the ambition , just our circumstances won't permit it . I started thinking about this because of our inability ( can be a good thing in some ways I know ) to be able to offer players anything other than short term contracts. This has obviously backfired badly on us with Harley and I wonder how many other key players are on our books now whose contracts also run out in the near future and who won't negotiate a fresh one. In other words , given this is the way that we are forced to operate , how can we ever expect to build up a stable team capable of making the push on to the Championship. As soon as a good combination ( almost this year with just a few tweeks ) comes along it's broken up. And we also have to sell good players like Moxey and Friend to balance our books which adds to the equation . Then, I suppose it's the same for 75% of the rest of the teams in the league , no way round it I guess.
Looking on the other thread at the list of players likely to be out of contract by the summer the 2011/12 starting line up may be unfamiliar. Bertie may need to defer cooking the crepes.

greenawayr

The positive to come from this is that seemingly, the club are happy to miss out on a transfer fee. Whether the book balancers had a say in this I don't know, but not many occasions in years gone by can I remember us turning down an offer because we didn't need the money.

Lister

Quietly musing on the Harley dabacle ,
Why is it a debacle?

wemissmoxey

The positive to come from this is that seemingly, the club are happy to miss out on a transfer fee. Whether the book balancers had a say in this I don't know, but not many occasions in years gone by can I remember us turning down an offer because we didn't need the money.
I think we do need the money however Cheesedale wears the trousers around here and whatever he says seems to go.

ecfc01

I think we do need the money however Cheesedale wears the trousers around here and whatever he says seems to go.
What I say goes, Its time forget about that Ginger SheepShagger

Alistair20000

Andy Cole said the same. Would you say Double Gloucester ?

BASH

What I say goes, Its time forget about that Ginger SheepShagger insults already deary me :/

DB9

I think if Tis thought this he would have gone to another club by now, I believe he thinks he still has work to do here so until he moves and say this i reckon we could still one day go further

Andy Cole said the same
Andy Cole said what? and When?