• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

So what is our best combination?

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
After sitting through last night's cup tie with Swindon , I came away thinking ( as I did when we played them in the league ) , that we could and should have beaten them , they were not that great. We got our wish and started with three ( yes three ! ) out and out strikers up front.As I listened to the team being announced I thought this looks interesting , but it wasn't.Maybe it was because we lacked Harley and Russell in the middle , so was not a good test for three up front.I guess our will to go further in that particular competition was not there because with them and Noone in the team Swindon imo would have been taken easily.So what is our best combination particularly up front? For myself , why not give Fleetwood and Logan a go together.And what about Watson , perhaps time he was given a shout?

Pete Martin (CTID)

....they were not that great. ...
Well I thought they were excellent, especially defensively. Very organised and well drilled. Hard to break down. I thought that last week and last night confirmed it for me.

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
for me, 4-4-2 works best, as that gives our best striker, Fleetwood, the best chance of success I think. Pairing fleets with Corr or Logie would be my preference to give some balance and aeriel threat and power. If we go 4-3-3 then I don't think Fleets can be the central striker. He could play on wide right, and would be the best wide right player we have but still not fully utilised. Then have Logie/Corr/Watson in the middle and Noone on the left.

I think 4-4-2 gives us our best balance, exactly as it did on sat vs hartlepool.

Poultice

Hindsight as always has the benefit of 20/20 vision, which by the way is not excellent sight but merely normal, but in a million years I wouldn't team Corr, Logie and Stans unless I had two decent wing men to supplement them, thinking on I probably wouldn't do it then.

Can't really comment on the best combination cos I am not seeing any games, but I can get with Banksy re his observation that sides such as Swindon, the best side Lammie has seen in two years, are there to be beaten.

Oliver

The two things that hit me last night were that Stansfield is not good enough at division one level, he does a lot of huffing and puffing but I really dont fancy him as a striker.
The other thing that struck me was that we looked more fluent without the three 'golden oldies'.

Citysupporter2099

We had 3 up front and none of our strikers scored so Tis will go back to 1 up front on saturday. [tap]

arthur

We had 3 up front and none of our strikers scored so Tis will go back to 1 up front on saturday. [tap]
No, no that's far too obvious. You do not have the tactical genius to be a football manager... Lee Elam - hat trick first game he played for us, dropped for next game....Basham and Macc two goals each against Rochdale last year, neither of them started the next game etc etc

On this basis three strikers who failed to score between them would all be guaranteed starting places next time out...

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just read the wmns report of last nights game and the words 'latched on to logans flick' for our goal, sort of points me towards that maybe, just maybe, we have the potential of an effective strike partnership building between r.l and s.f. Now that would be v nice.

Last edited: