• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was surprised at the high number in favour of extending the restrictions for four weeks. I would have thought those polled were representative of the population rather than just public sector workers. I get the impression from all walks of life that people aren't happy with the extension, so was surprised to see polling data saying 71% were happy.
I don't reckon people are that bothered given it's summer and people aren't overly arsed about mixing inside.

Oldsmobile-88

As of today all Covid restrictions are lifted in Israel.
Face masks also do not need to be worn.

California has lifted its Covid restrictions from today.
Florida lifted theirs a few weeks ago.

Both the above have lower vaccination rates than the UK.

nick_exmouth

As of today all Covid restrictions are lifted in Israel.
Face masks also do not need to be worn.

California has lifted its Covid restrictions from today.
Florida lifted theirs a few weeks ago.

Both the above have lower vaccination rates than the UK.
But neither have a medical framework akin to the NHS - we know about USA and I believe Israel have compulsary medical insurance

Unfortunatley, we have got ourselves into a position where we serve the NHS rather than the other way around

angelic upstart

Does anyone know what their travel restrictions are and perhaps more crucially how quickly are they stopping flights from countries that suffer issues?

Personally, I think that's more likely to stop strains arriving, meaning the average Joe or joegina can go about their daily lives with no restrictions.

iscalad

I had a YouGov survey today. It was mostly about where I intended to go on holiday this year. Usefully it gave me about 60 countries to choose from.

Oldsmobile-88

Does anyone know what their travel restrictions are and perhaps more crucially how quickly are they stopping flights from countries that suffer issues?
Not sure about Israel,but the US border was shut very quickly.A friend of mine who was travelling over from the US last September was advised not to travel by the airline,getting into the UK was easy,getting entry back to the States was likely to be problematic despite him being a resident.
He reluctantly had to cancel the trip.

I find it ironic that the party in government who’s mantra for years was “taking back control of borders” has been incapable of doing so in time of national crisis.

Oldsmobile-88

I had a YouGov survey today. It was mostly about where I intended to go on holiday this year. Usefully it gave me about 60 countries to choose from.
I had a email from Holiday Extras today saying I could get 20% off my Airport Parking this Summer 🤣

If only I could take them up on the offer !

tavyred

Important to remember the Delta variant is now in 74 countries and according to the WHO is set to be the dominant variant in Europe and no doubt worldwide. The idea we can avoid these variants for the want of restricting air travel is for the birds, unless we do an Oz or NZ of course. Isn’t Australia banning its own citizens from coming home from certain countries? Imagine the furore here if Boris attempted that with British Asians stuck in India?

Spoonz Red E

Important to remember the Delta variant is now in 74 countries and according to the WHO is set to be the dominant variant in Europe and no doubt worldwide. The idea we can avoid these variants for the want of restricting air travel is for the birds, unless we do an Oz or NZ of course. Isn’t Australia banning its own citizens from coming home from certain countries? Imagine the furore here if Boris attempted that with British Asians stuck in India?
While this is true the worthwhile point I heard made by a scientific advisor today was that the delay in closing down travel from India seriously reduced the advantage we had created in having the vaccine programme give us the upper hand - hence the need for delay announced this week and catchup.
With a variant that can increase its spread exponentially time is crucial.
It's a numbers game and the Govt can't put the criticism of their delay down to hindsight this time.

DB9

There might have been a furore by some in the UK if they did that Tavy but I think given now the restrictions are being extended, I think there would have been a lot of support a few months back if they did ban people from India.