• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Which club is the biggest?!

After reading many posts on here and other football forums it seems that so many fans are all hung up on the 'our club is bigger than your club' argument.
As far as I can see that is used the same way as 'my dad is bigger than your dad' and its ridiculous.

As an Exeter City fan i couldnt really care less how other clubs are doing, I just want to see Exeter do well and push on as a club.

So I was thinking what makes a big club? After signing Bauza, Northampton fans are adament that they are a 'bigger' club than us which confuses the hell out of me! As far as I see it, it is not about history, amount of fans or size of city or town, it is defined by your current league position.

What are your thoughts as it annoys me seeing fans, currently in league two think they are a bigger club than us when we are currently playing a higher and better standard of football, obviously this can change week to week, season to season.

ForeverECFC

After reading many posts on here and other football forums it seems that so many fans are all hung up on the 'our club is bigger than your club' argument.
As far as I can see that is used the same way as 'my dad is bigger than your dad' and its ridiculous.

As an Exeter City fan i couldnt really care less how other clubs are doing, I just want to see Exeter do well and push on as a club.

So I was thinking what makes a big club? After signing Bauza, Northampton fans are adament that they are a 'bigger' club than us which confuses the hell out of me! As far as I see it, it is not about history, amount of fans or size of city or town, it is defined by your current league position.

What are your thoughts as it annoys me seeing fans, currently in league two think they are a bigger club than us when we are currently playing a higher and better standard of football, obviously this can change week to week, season to season.
Lets be honest.. we finished above Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton but theres no way we are bigger than them.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
A Number One Wood, I'd say.

I understand your reasoning behind this but after beating Sheff Wed twice and there decline I would say they were a big club that is getting smaller each season and we are slowly getting bigger.

ExeNorway

Wednesday and Charlton is surley "bigger" than us. But a team in a lower division than us is not bigger than us, that's obvious. Eg Leeds was a bigger club than Sunderland, but not anymore...

Where different teams end up on the table is more about coincidence through a long season. Coincidences doesn't make you a bigger club. But when it's a divison between the different teams, you can say one of them is biggest.

grecianfaniow

I say who gives a f*ck who is bigger than who??? we are big in our minds, let them worry whos big and lose money we will just sneak by them with Tis tactics and stealthly free signings and oh great football!

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
For me it is about size of club, amount of fans, history etc. Notts Forest are a far bigger club than say Wigan, yet they are below them in the pyramid. Bradford are bigger than us and Daggers etc.

I'm happiest if we are seen as tinpot tiny by fans as long as I know we are 'big' enough for this level and with the potential while working within out means (ir towards this depending on how you see it) to grow and continue to be seen by especially young promising players and quality players who have suffered alle nards and noble and even curo for whatever reason in their careers as an attractive prospect also we have an abnormally sized (based on home support) away following and very vocal away following judging by other fans at the park and before any one mentions the away end we did ok at rovers and Yeovil which i like even if there are only 9 of singing like at Peterborough :)

Biggest teams next season will be the Sheffield clubs I'll leave it to them to fight out which way round

FAN-TATIC

The problem to me seems to be that football supporters confuse the 'Club' with the 'Team.'

Sheffield Weds, Charlton etc are bigger 'Clubs whereas at the moment we are a better Team'.

Don't confuse the two. Simples!

For me it is about size of club, amount of fans, history etc. Notts Forest are a far bigger club than say Wigan, yet they are below them in the pyramid. Bradford are bigger than us and Daggers etc.
This is how I see it exactly also I would add reprentation ie Leeds yorkshire Manchester united Lancashire Exeter Devon at least the north and east Plymouth Cornwall and the ass of Devon is why Torquay are really like a next door neighbour that you exchange pleasantries with over the fence but forget about the rest of your life. Obv size matters the point about Leeds even tough they don't get 70000 there really in the same bracket as some of the big prem teams or will be once they are back up