• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Your First Non Exeter Profession Football game?

tea stand

Mine was Dundee United v Hearts,1980 at Tannadice. The arabs won 4-1. There was a lot of trouble. I got in for free!

Das Boot

Birmingham City v WBA FA Cup Semi 1968 at Vile Park we lost 2-0. Disgraceful refereeing we believed.

Last edited:

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mine was Yeovil v Newcastle in a pre season friendly at Huish park, circa 1989. Went on the pitch before the game and got some Newcastle players’ autographs as they were my other team back then. Seem to remember John Burridge signing my programme. It was roasting hot and I think Newcastle won 2-1.

My first non Exeter competitive game was either Tottenham v Everton in ‘91 which was a 3-3 draw or Arsenal v Sheff Utd the same year, which was 5-2. Two great games!

Red & White

Aston Villa 1 - 1 Chelsea as part of a school trip in about 2002, Paul Merson and Frank Lampard were on the score sheet that day. I only went as I hadn't watched a top flight match before and I don't support either team.

Chelsea v Man Utd circa 1974

JW57++

1966-67 Torquay v Brighton at Plainmoor. Torquay in the Third Division under Frank O'Farrell, near the top, playing at a level way above Exeter. The Brighton goalkeeper was injured in the 1st half so an outdoor player had to go in goal. Torqay scored 5. It was an evening match so the old style floodlights on towers in each corner were in operation.
I cannot remember the exact game, but I think Torquay chose to play evening kick offs at the weekend at that time and were a good side to watch. As you say, they were a division and a level above us at the time.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I cannot remember the exact game, but I think Torquay chose to play evening kick offs at the weekend at that time and were a good side to watch. As you say, they were a division and a level above us at the time.
They were doing that for ages. I can remember Torquay having Saturday evening kick offs when I was a kid, a long time after lamrobhero.😉

Oldsmobile-88

Chelsea v Man Utd circa 1974
Was that Bobby Charltons last game ?

Oldsmobile-88

They were doing that for ages. I can remember Torquay having Saturday evening kick offs when I was a kid, a long time after lamrobhero.😉
They did have regular 7.30pm Saturday ko’s in the lighter months until 1986/87. Wolves trashing the town was one of the reasons it was curtailed iirc

Bridgy 81

I used to go to matches at SJP for years with my brother-in-law, starting in the early 80s.
My sister would come with us but go shopping in the city centre.
And on occasions after City’s game the three of us would head down to Torquay if they had a Saturday evening fixture.
I remember we used to share a KFC bargain bucket in the harbour area when we arrived but I don’t remember anything about any of their matches!