• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stewards

John William

Very well known Exeweb poster
Stewards are very variable in quality and commonsense. Some are understanding, flexible and helpful.

Too many are however bossy and inflexible jobsworths. The idiots at Yeovil who only allowed the club tent to be less than half full and caused long queue to form, but wouldn't say why, are examples of the worst type of steward.

What is it about some stewards (by no means all) that they seem to enjoy ordering people around for no obvious reason and refuse to explain their actions or instructions? Are they told to act this way by the clubs?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
"Smiler" at Brentford has always been my favourite example of stewardship!
Oh yes, he was a right barrel of laughs!

Good job he couldn't understand a word we said/sung.

urinal

In the back of the Greta Garbo home for wayward bo
Presumably the father of your Gran...
That possibility did occur to me. Hope you don't mean the father of my gran, by the way. That would make me related to ECFCTosser is some way and that is just a cross that would be much too heavy to burden.

I was thinking along the lines of a cross-dressing octagenarian or maybe an old lady who, after several decades as a woman, has now decided that a sex change is the way forward. In any case, T*sser's murdering of the English language does throw up some interesting new concepts. I, for one, am grateful for that.

FAN-TATIC

Stewards are very variable in quality and commonsense. Some are understanding, flexible and helpful.

Too many are however bossy and inflexible jobsworths. The idiots at Yeovil who only allowed the club tent to be less than half full and caused long queue to form, but wouldn't say why, are examples of the worst type of steward.

What is it about some stewards (by no means all) that they seem to enjoy ordering people around for no obvious reason and refuse to explain their actions or instructions? Are they told to act this way by the clubs?
Because the 'some' are bullies?

urinal

In the back of the Greta Garbo home for wayward bo
Come on **** Pot, the Gyppo's post is pretty poor English but relatively easy to understand or to grasp the basic maison sens, that other thing left me completely in the dark as to its meaning or point.

"Genuine frontier gibberish".
You are right of course.

Although T*sser's gibberish might be described as "complete b*ll*cks", it in no respect compares to the "frontier gibberish" (as you so quite rightly describe it) that IAMawanker has managed to construct.

Last edited:

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
OK, I'm going to address Ant and Bitts together here. I believe I said that fans had been thrown out and/or threatened with bans for nothing. If I said they HAD been banned for doing nothing then I was wrong as the only people I know who were properly banned was mad Mike and Razors.

However, threatening fans doing nothing wrong (and a good example is singing 'the referee's a w*nker') with a two year ban just to get them to toe the line for a rule they've just made up on the spot is as aggressive as it is irrational. It's things like this that will one day bring problems to a head, and a fan versus steward punch-up arrives when some jobsworth tries to throw the wrong person out for doing nothing wrong. All because a little common-sense was not applied. So far all I've seen is a furious argument between the two, but that's largely because the fan in question was mature enough and presumably not drunk enough to decide to settle the matter with violence. How long this will last is anybody's guess.

If, you do not believe, after all these people who have come on here and backed up my claims that stewards have come in heavy-handed, threatened people with bans for things they should never have felt the desire to intervene in, and generally got people's backs up for petty, often non-existence offences, then this argument really is dying of death. The evidence is out there, you guys just don't want to look at it

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I'm going to address Ant and Bitts together here. I believe I said that fans had been thrown out and/or threatened with bans for nothing. If I said they HAD been banned for doing nothing then I was wrong as the only people I know who were properly banned was mad Mike and Razors.

However, threatening fans doing nothing wrong (and a good example is singing 'the referee's a w*nker') with a two year ban just to get them to toe the line for a rule they've just made up on the spot is as aggressive as it is irrational. It's things like this that will one day bring problems to a head, and a fan versus steward punch-up arrives when some jobsworth tries to throw the wrong person out for doing nothing wrong. All because a little common-sense was not applied. So far all I've seen is a furious argument between the two, but that's largely because the fan in question was mature enough and presumably not drunk enough to decide to settle the matter with violence. How long this will last is anybody's guess.

If, you do not believe, after all these people who have come on here and backed up my claims that stewards have come in heavy-handed, threatened people with bans for things they should never have felt the desire to intervene in, and generally got people's backs up for petty, often non-existence offences, then this argument really is dying of death. The evidence is out there, you guys just don't want to look at it
Ground regulations, number 9:

Ground regulations said:
The use of threatening behaviour, foul or abusive language is strictly forbidden and will result in arrest and/or ejection from the ground. The Club may impose a ban for one or more Matches.
Maybe not two years, but a ban nonetheless.

Just saying, like.

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ground regulations, number 9:

Maybe not two years, but a ban nonetheless.

Just saying, like.
I await the impending bans then Jase of 2,500 screaming Exeter fans. We probably need a recruiting day down the local cub scout hut :)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I await the impending bans then Jase of 2,500 screaming Exeter fans. We probably need a recruiting day down the local cub scout hut :)
As anyone who has stood near me on the terraces will testify, I NEVER use foul and abusive language inside the ground. Paragon of virtue, me.

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
As anyone who has stood near me on the terraces will testify, I NEVER use foul and abusive language inside the ground. Paragon of virtue, me.
Siege   [seej] Show IPA noun, verb, sieged, sieg·ing, noun

1. The act or process of surrounding and attacking a fortified place in such a way as to isolate it from help and supplies, for the purpose of lessening the resistance of the defenders and thereby making capture possible.

2. Any prolonged or persistent effort to overcome resistance.

3. A series of illnesses, troubles, or annoyances besetting a person or group: a siege of head colds.

4. A prolonged period of trouble or annoyance.

Guess we won't be seeing Grecian max for two seasons, the hooligan has gone bang smack against ground regulations.

Last edited: