• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
GDoris Lessing aged 97? Its entries like this that make the thread a farce!
I take it you're not very well read then? She was born in 1919. In 2007 she received the Nobel Prize in Literature, being at the time the oldest person to do so. Because she opposed apartheid she had to leave Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and came to London in 1949. Her works 'The Golden Notebook' and the 'Good Terrorists' are well worth a read.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good points Sharon, but the problem with the 'Obituary Thread' is that not that many of the younger exewebbers have a clue who some of the people mentioned are. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you posted the tragic passing of Steve Prescott on here, and you also tagged it on to the three year old Stanno thread; I'm guessing you did that because you felt SP's story warranted highlighting far more than a mention on an Obituary Thread that many people seldom read. It all depends who the person who passed away is, but I remain adamant that there shouldnt be a race between exewebbers to post the announcement of someone whos died who many people may never have heard of on the Obituary Thread. Some of the entries are making the thread a farce. I mean: Doris Lessing aged 97? Its entries like this that make the thread a farce!
I looked at the thread about Adam after the passing of Ste, as wanted to read the lovely messages again. Not to bring attention to a person's passing that in all fairness, unless they follow RL, or know me, probably hadn't heard of Ste.

It turns out it wasn't the cancer that killed him, he had managed to beat it like he always said he would. After his bowel had stopped working earlier on in the year, he started researching it and found out that it was possible to have a bowel transplant. He had all the tests done and last month he underwent the operation that took 32 hours. The surgeons reported that 90% of the cancer has been removed.

Unfortunately, there were complications after the operation and this was what caused his death.

His funeral was this morning and there was around 2000 people there, inside and outside the church. It was a catholic ceremony and was very moving. His 12 year old son, Taylor, spoke about his dad and there wasn't a dry eye in the house at that point.

When he was carried out, the church bells rang 'When The Saints Go Marching In'.

Ste was a true inspiration and his legacy will live on with The Steve Prescott Foundation and in his 2 boys, Taylor and Koby.

RIP Preckie

ecfc70

even though this thread is of course quite morbid, i do find it good as i dont always read the news, and although i may not know who everyone that is mentioned in these pages was, you do from time to time find out that someone who may have been a part of your childhood or life has passed on and it makes you take stock of everything that was good about that person

those that are or were more in the public eye will obviously continue to get their own threads but for the ones that have been there and done that, then gone on to do their own thing this will do just fine

Please keep it going

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Lewis Collins, aged 67 (Cancer).

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Paul Walker, star of fast and furious films dies in a car crash aged just 40

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Paul Walker, star of fast and furious films dies in a car crash aged just 40
Just seen that on BBC news. I love watching F&F, quality car chase popcorn movies.

elginCity

Nelson Mandela

PeteUSA

Lewis Collins, aged 67 (Cancer).
See, this is what p!sses me off about general obituary threads. Jason reports the death of Lewis Collins, who he probably doesnt remember, and thats it! Lewis Collins was easily the favorite to take over the Sean Connery 'James Bond' role, having starred in the succesful TV series The Profesionals, but Roger Moore somehow got the nod. In between Connery and Moore, Male model George Lazenby gave it a go in one Bond film, and it bombed! I wonder how things would have worked out if Collins had got the role, as was planned, instead of Roger Moore.

Last edited:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lewis Collins was easily the favourite to take over the Sean Connery 'James Bond' role, having starred in the successful TV series The Professionals, but Roger Moore somehow got the nod. In between Connery and Moore, Male model George Lazenby gave it a go in one Bond film, and it bombed! I wonder how things would have worked out if Collins had got the role, as was planned, instead of Roger Moore.
Would've made a good Bond. While still pursuing his acting career he took and passed the course that saw him to join the T.A. Parachute Regiment.

The bloke could actually walk the walk.

Chuckles

Nelson Mandela
Adams and McGuiness hopefully to follow soon.