• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official AFC Wimbledon vs ECFC match day thread

FAN-TATIC

Anybody got news of Grimes? He looked in some pain.
He was taken to hospital for a scan to determine the true extent of his injury. The management appear hopeful that it is not as bad as it may look.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure how Bennett got done in the corner for the cross for their opening goal as the view to that area is shocking as we have mentioned in other threads
I was sat in the seats, Bennett got to tight to the Wimbledon player he should have stood off of him and held him up allowing our defence to get back...O'Flynns miss was a shocker thought Jimmy was our best player...a draw would have been a fair result, not surprised we lost as our tactics aren't working!!

mdg

another loss- against a bigger side, defence letting in another 2, any coincidence that Coles is playing and the Doc cant get a sniff,perhaps Doc would stiffen up the midfield and Coles wouldn't be so exposed!!

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The thing yesterday was , Wimbledon are known as being a physical , tall side.....we started with Tom Nichols upfront on his own a lad who's what 5ft and a spud ?

Surely as much as I don't rate him yesterday would of been a game to start Parkin for his height/muscle.

The tactics just seem bizarre.

Mackster

Mack

1) Do you really think Tisdale would accept a de facto demotion or that Sir Rob would be part of that ? It would almost certainly amount to constructive dismissal.

2) Even if Stevie P is paid as a consultant there is a serious risk that an Employment Tribunal would rule that he is in law an employee.

3) No guarantee that making a change of manager will save us.

4) We do not know what the full consequences of putting him on gardening leave might be. You might just be pressing the nuclear button and who knows what the fall out of that might be. The Club's financial position is almost certainly perilous. If a liability to pay Tisdale compensation crystallized and the Club took insolvency advice it might be told it is trading while insolvent leading to immediate Administration. The consequences of the proposal may be even worse than those you have identified.

5) I would not put down a penny piece that Guy Wolfenden has the power in his employment contract to take the steps you propose.

I don't think this is necessarily as simple as Al Yates and St James propose but none of us of knows all the facts. It is unclear whether the Trust Board knows and understands the full position let alone has a clue what to do about it. A number of us have warned that the Club is out of control, that the Trust should have built its reserves to cover precisely this sort of emergency rather than giving the money away to fund a bloated off field operation.

This needs some careful and clear headed thinking and determining what changes that can be made practically in the situation in which we find ourselves.
You're probably right Al.

For a club that was on the brink of extinction 10 years ago, The Trust Board should hang its head in shame for allowing such a situation to arise.

Best hope is we escape relegation by a gnat's **** and certain people in the club hierarchy acknowledge the game is up and do the right thing. Some people may look at the games in hand and the six point cushion and think we'll be okay, but Feb looks very tough and I reckon all our collective poopers will be twitching vigorously by then.

ecfc70

just seen the wombles winner on SSN, terrible conditions for both teams but the goal looked very soft
caught some of the game on the radio and as soon as they announced offline was coming on you knew the game was lost.....even more so when he cant convert from 7 yards

rp42

According to the official webpage Grimes injury is "bad bruising"so hopefully won't be out for long(y)

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Just had a look and from the last twenty league games we got twenty one points which will see us on fifty three and probably narrowly safe. That is the good news but as four wins came from the first six games in that sequence we certainly need some results otherwise the same comparison in three or four games will see us right down in the mid forties and facing the drop.

GrecianInWales

The thing yesterday was , Wimbledon are known as being a physical , tall side.....we started with Tom Nichols upfront on his own a lad who's what 5ft and a spud ?

Surely as much as I don't rate him yesterday would of been a game to start Parkin for his height/muscle.

The tactics just seem bizarre.
Nichols actually held up the ball incredibly well yesterday. His link play was very good and allowed Keohane and Wheeler to get at the defence and cause damage. His lack of height wasn't an issue because at that stage we weren't pumping balls at him. When Parkin came on we reverted to long ball, Nichols dropped deeper and the ball wasn't held up anywhere near as well. You don't need to be a big guy to play the loan striker role and we played to Nichols's strengths.

To me, I'd have rather kept our shape when Grimes was forced off by pushing Bennett up into midfield and bringing on Baldwin and giving that 15 minutes to see how that worked as I liked our shape.

That said, yesterday was frustrating. The penalty that wasn't given, the red card that could have been produced but wasn't, O'Flynn blasting over from a few yards out, the conditions that meant JMT slipped at a crucial moment as Saint-Luce ran at him. On another day we could have won and won comfortably. There were errors with yesterday's performance but there was enough to suggest that that win will come.

Whether it does is another matter though. That's not something we can be saying every week as we fall down the table.

And no, I don't have the answer to how to arrest this alarming slump.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just had a look and from the last twenty league games we got twenty one points which will see us on fifty three and probably narrowly safe. That is the good news but as four wins came from the first six games in that sequence we certainly need some results otherwise the same comparison in three or four games will see us right down in the mid forties and facing the drop.
If you look at our last ten games, they have almost all been against lower half teams, and the six points we have picked up were against the team in 23rd and 20th. That's the worry for me, it ought to have been a fertile period for us but instead we now need to get results against form teams.