• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Danny Butterfield takes player-coach role

John William

Very well known Exeweb poster
Monday and during half time.
Or during the game when we were playing Argyle :((

crocks

So a very average defender is turning coach. Wow, that will make City's defence watertight. NOT!

LOG

So a very average defender is turning coach. Wow, that will make City's defence watertight. NOT!
I think you’re being a little harsh there. He was a decent enough player back in his day.

Of course his day was several years ago and I can’t say I’m very keen on seeing him in the first 11, but if he can provide cover as well as coaching then we get two for the price of one. Assuming he's a competent coach, of course.

davecg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Butterfield

Wish we had a few more coaches bringing through our youth who had that average a career...

Well-known Exeweb poster
, Never forget that hat trick he scored for palace. going from playing full bac? the prev week i believe, to answering a bit of an sos by warnock i believe to play up front and the returning a hat trick, decent technical footballer hopefully he can pass a bit of that on.

davecg

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
This is the version of him talking about Merson's reaction on Sky Sports, filmed out at the Cat & Fiddle.

[video=youtube;VBpQfTt5xtg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBpQfTt5xtg[/video]

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Impressive, but if he has what it takes to score goals at this level he would be playing up front at least some of the time. He has played a lot of games and the coaching side makes sense if there is a vacancy in our set up, last season he was better than his first season but still part of a defence that wasn't tight enough so I hope he isn't required to play as much in the coming season.

Antony Moxey

Stupid comment. Neither Mourinho, Wenger or Ferguson were that much as players but they've gone on to be excellent coaches, whereas a number of excellent players have failed miserably as coaches. You don't have to be a good player to be a good coach.

Avening Posse

His playing days may be almost over, but I think he has leader qualities and could potentially make a pretty decent coach so good news for me