• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Danny Butterfield takes player-coach role

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
So a very average defender is turning coach. Wow, that will make City's defence watertight. NOT!
It worked well for Alex Ferguson. He was nothing more than average player who turned into being one of the greatest managers to walk the planet. From what I understand (as I'm not old enough to know),Ron Atkinson wasn't even anaverage player yet turned out to be a decent manager.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know he's been helping out at a local kids' team to help him towards his badges. As long as he's not a first team regular I have no problem with him being a coach.

Pobbop

TBF he was pretty decent for awhile during the run, just after the horror start. He clearly couldn't take a full season though, faded badly, if he just fills in occasionally, whilst coaching, it may work out fine. I obviously have no idea how good a coach he is.

Still, as I said before, it's not a signing that sets the pulse quickening either way.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
It's hardly news that gets you jumping off your feet but I see the reasons behind it

For me though I'm concerned if Oakley joins the coaching team as well that were turning into a old boys club who play a few when they fancy while coaching

Hopefully if buttrrfield stays it means Mccallister won't as for me we can't have buttrrfield , Mccallister & Oakley on the books next season

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
He needs a decent shave.

Along with a number of other players. Hirsute is not good.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
If woodman is going McAllister could do a job imo. Him and CRL fighting for the left back shirt.

Otherwise fully agree with your point.

Last edited:

IndoMike

I think you’re being a little harsh there. He was a decent enough player back in his day.

Of course his day was several years ago and I can’t say I’m very keen on seeing him in the first 11, but if he can provide cover as well as coaching then we get two for the price of one. Assuming he's a competent coach, of course.
So which salary / fee are we not going to pay him : his player's salary or his coach's salary?

So which salary / fee are we not going to pay him : his player's salary or his coach's salary?
Seeing that Tisdale has stated that Butterfield's role will be more as a coach than a player, Mike, I guess that his salary will be calculated as somewhere between the two.

GrecianWonder

Seeing that Tisdale has stated that Butterfield's role will be more as a coach than a player, Mike, I guess that his salary will be calculated as somewhere between the two.
It doesn't matter either way, we are getting value for money. If you were to split his wage, the quality of the player we could afford would be diminished and probably the ability of the coach too.

IndoMike

OK Roy. That makes sense. it all depends on his expertise and influence as a coach, really. As a player I don't think he's going offer a lot now that his legs have gone.