• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Port Vale v The Mighty Exeter City MDT. 3pm KO

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
What did you make of his other saves Pete ?
I was waiting for that! Yes he had an outstanding game, made a couple of 'worldies'? Its the same old argument though, outfield players can get away with mistakes, goalkeepers cant. And its true, no matter how well he played after the 'error of judgement' he still gets to carry the can, even though we couldnt manage a solitary goal in the remaining 88+ minutes.

Avening Posse

Highly likely to be fair, what's your point?
My point was if we managed to get promoted this season we’d have had half a chance of keeping them, and thereby being able to strengthen in other areas instead, but if they both leave any budget to strengthen will have to be spread more thinly and therefore end up with quantity over quality. In my view we have to strengthen up front. I like Bowman, but I don’t think we always play in a way that plays to his strengths, and I think we need a different type of striker. But all back to square one if we lose our best wide players as well, as our budget may be too small to replace all the leavers with quality.

Rosencrantz

With regards Andresson's part in the goal, having watched it again, although it happens quickly and it's not easy to spot, I think the shot deflects off of Page. Nothing Page can do really and it might even deflect off his hand. But the shot from the strikers foot seems to be rising and then when it goes past Page it deflects downward and actually bounces right in front of Andresson. He can't get his body down as he was in the process of standing up taller as the shot is hit expecting it to keep rising. In the end he probably does well to get his legs on it and deflect it away. He has little control over where it ends up.

PeteUSA

With regards Andresson's part in the goal, having watched it again, although it happens quickly and it's not easy to spot, I think the shot deflects off of Page. Nothing Page can do really and it might even deflect off his hand. But the shot from the strikers foot seems to be rising and then when it goes past Page it deflects downward and actually bounces right in front of Andresson. He can't get his body down as he was in the process of standing up taller as the shot is hit expecting it to keep rising. In the end he probably does well to get his legs on it and deflect it away. He has little control over where it ends up.
Having studied the footage over and over, I agree with all of your conclusions. When their man hits that initial shot, its at least 3 feet of the ground. Had it stayed at that trajectory, it would probably have been a safe shot at chest height for Andresson. The ball definitely got deflected downwards by Page, placing the ball at an awful height for Andresson to deal with with his lower legs at the last minute. Under the circumstances he did well to keep that low shot out, one would assume with his shins. Unlucky for him it ran kindly for the PV forward.

As an aside, I swear that ball went a foot over the line in the first minute, with the throw-in leading up to the goal. Two City staff members in the tech. area put their arms up by way of appeal. Absolutely appalling that the linesman didnt flag for that one!

PeteUSA

Youtube highlights:

Trapdoor

Matt Taylor has got that horribly wrong in the first half and his substitutions did nothing to get us back in the game. He needs to take responsibility for that. It was the worst performance I've seen in decades. Lethargic, indecisive and no sign of teamwork anywhere on the pitch.

I wonder if some of the players have had discussions about their future next season. Its the only thing I can think of which would produce such an abject, incoherent performance.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Matt Taylor has got that horribly wrong in the first half and his substitutions did nothing to get us back in the game. He needs to take responsibility for that. It was the worst performance I've seen in decades. Lethargic, indecisive and no sign of teamwork anywhere on the pitch.

I wonder if some of the players have had discussions about their future next season. Its the only thing I can think of which would produce such an abject, incoherent performance.
I've been thinking about this too. Maybe some of them have downed tools because they know they're on the way out. If Taylor has told them, like he did before that play off final, he needs to sort himself out.

Ifs and maybes but some of the team aren't pulling their weight.

tonykellowfan

Williams is leaving at the end of the season as his contract is up and he has interest from the top end of L1.

Randall however I would be surprised if he left as he is under contract and still learning his game and is now out injured until the end of the season.

Red Devon

I've been thinking about this too. Maybe some of them have downed tools because they know they're on the way out. If Taylor has told them, like he did before that play off final, he needs to sort himself out.

Ifs and maybes but some of the team aren't pulling their weight.
Some people are saying Atangana already has a contact for next season 🙁 no doubt we’ll have Seymour with us again too 😔

Trapdoor

Williams and Randall were not the main culprits yesterday to be honest.

I thought Hartridge, McArdle, Atangana, Sparkes, Wilmott & Bowman were all atrocious.
Page was not having a particularly great game either but didn't deserve to be subbed so quickly.
Bringing Seymore on when you're chasing the game might work in 5 or 6 years time but he's just not a viable option in the immediate future.

A real rebuild is going to be needed this summer.