• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
He's insisting on masks though which is a bit odd.

Surely it would be better to have less packed trains and no masks rather than the other way around.
Yes, but masks make little difference. I observed the usual only 30% using them properly.

And with regards to your second point, well that would require something called common sense.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

The fact that antibodies from Omicron give a level of protection against the common cold is good news, because it means it is highly likely to give a level of protection against any future variants.

That alongside the fact it is highly unlikely for a future variant to be more dangerous than Omicron, we are moving into a good place.
Scientists are divided on the issue, only time will tell.
COVID update: Do viruses get weaker as they evolve? Debunking the idea as experts learn more about omicron variant - ABC7 New York (abc7ny.com)

Alistair20000

So there is after all no such thing as "the science." Instead there is a range of scientific opinion.

Strange that all debate about how to respond to Covid and the merits/demerits of lockdowns was suppressed in favour of following just one line of scientific opinion.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

So there is after all no such thing as "the science." Instead there is a range of scientific opinion.

Strange that all debate about how to respond to Covid and the merits/demerits of lockdowns was suppressed in favour of following just one line of scientific opinion.
Don't see what you were saying?

Are you saying that all Governments in every country in the world that introduced lockdowns suppressed the science to pursue their agenda to manipulate and control the population?

I would have thought that the reality is that the most Governments opted for a safety first approach to the pandemic to protect their citizens and to minimise the risk of harm.

Mr Jinx

Yes, and we continually followed advice at the doomsday end (adding in 25% for good measure). As I've said before, it's a national scandal. I don't believe Boris really believed it and so that should be the real focus of ire in my eyes, not a distanced loosely work related garden gathering.

As ever, people work themselves into a really tizzy over minutiae.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, and we continually followed advice at the doomsday end (adding in 25% for good measure). As I've said before, it's a national scandal. I don't believe Boris really believed it and so that should be the real focus of ire in my eyes, not a distanced loosely work related garden gathering.

I think this is a really interesting point and something I thought about recently.

They regularly described COVID as a deadly disease etc, however if it was even half as awful as they were telling everyone, surely he would have respected the rules he set? It's almost like he knew something we didn't.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

It's the fact that Boris has lied to Parliament about this that is really the issue ,not the minutiae. If he has been found to lie to Parliament then he has to resign.

Alistair20000

Don't see what you were saying?

Are you saying that all Governments in every country in the world that introduced lockdowns suppressed the science to pursue their agenda to manipulate and control the population?

I would have thought that the reality is that the most Governments opted for a safety first approach to the pandemic to protect their citizens and to minimise the risk of harm.
My point is that one line of scientific opinion was relied on. Alrternatives such as formulated in the Great Barrington Declaration were shouted down, ridiculed and even described as letting people die; such was the media hysteria.

Whether governments opted for "safety first" remains to be established. The collateral damage of policy to healthcare, mental health, education and society is only now starting to become properly understood.

Oldsmobile-88

Whether governments opted for "safety first" remains to be established. The collateral damage of policy to healthcare, mental health, education and society is only now starting to become properly understood.
On Today this morning,a senior medical professional at a NHS Trust was asked the usual stuff about the restrictions being lifted & the potential impact on his hospital.Interestingly rather than the usual doom & gloom,he was up beat,saying staff absence was the only thing of concern,mentioning the Socio-Economic impact on society was now more important.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

My point is that one line of scientific opinion was relied on. Alrternatives such as formulated in the Great Barrington Declaration were shouted down, ridiculed and even described as letting people die; such was the media hysteria.

I would argue that was definitely a safety first approach, to reduce the number of deaths end of.