• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The morning after the day before

Trapdoor

I've had a think about it and what helped me close the book on this was a look at last year's Championship final table. Norwich won comfortably and Watford were well ahead of Brentford in the playoffs. I think if you asked Norwich fans whether they'd trade the title for the playoffs or Watford trade the autos for the sweat of those playoffs provided they get Brentford's 2022 season they'd have bitten your hand off at the ribs.
And if that doesn't do it have a look at the 1990-91 final third division table. Note where Grimsby, Southend and Cambridge ended up.
A lot will depend on the summer recruitment. Having a goalkeeper of Cams quality will go a long way to seeing us comfortably mid-table.
I used to think keepers were less important than defenders, I still think good CB partnerships are absolutely critical, but it's amazing the impact a really good keeper has on the team. It's opened my eyes at any rate.

C j phill

A lot will depend on the summer recruitment. Having a goalkeeper of Cams quality will go a long way to seeing us comfortably mid-table.
I used to think keepers were less important than defenders, I still think good CB partnerships are absolutely critical, but it's amazing the impact a really good keeper has on the team. It's opened my eyes at any rate.
At the moment, I have a concern that neither Sam's (Stubbs and Nombe) will have sufficient fitness to last a full season. I hope that my worries are misplaced, as they are clearly stand-out players and if we get a full season from them both, I'm confident we'll have a comfortable ride through 2022/23.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
At the moment, I have a concern that neither Sam's (Stubbs and Nombe) will have sufficient fitness to last a full season. I hope that my worries are misplaced, as they are clearly stand-out players and if we get a full season from them both, I'm confident we'll have a comfortable ride through 2022/23.
They both have injuries that recur, so imo they're sure to be out for spells during the season. But most teams have the same kind of problem. It's all about the squad

Oldsmobile-88

Weirdly I was not as disappointed as I thought I would be at 4:55pm on Saturday if the Grecians did not pick up the Title. Auto promotion was satisfying enough( & a huge relief) in my mind after a few years of painful near misses.

There was a great vibe around the place on Saturday evening. Everyone was looking forward to the next season rather than being morose about losing & missing out on the title by a whisker.

MT made a few shrewd signings in the close season, I can’t wait to see him pit his tactical acumen in a higher division, not forgetting the great backroom staff around him either.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
And if that doesn't do it have a look at the 1990-91 final third division table. Note where Grimsby, Southend and Cambridge ended up.
Not sure this is entirely relevant. The fact is our Championship-winning side was better than Grimsby, Southend, and Cambridge. They did better than us the following season because we lost the spine of our team after Clive Whitehead went off to become Yeovil’s player-manager, taking Brian McDermott with him, and others have departed elsewhere.

Not suggesting we can’t hope to finish above FGR next season, merely that what might / might not have happened in 1990-91 ain’t overly significant.

fred binneys head

And we’d already lost Dazza and replaced him with a ‘not-as-good’ Gordon Hobson.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not suggesting we can’t hope to finish above FGR next season, merely that what might / might not have happened in 1990-91 ain’t overly significant.
The reality is we are currently in a far stronger position than Forest Green, (though of course that could all change by the start of next season.) Not only was our form for the second half of the season much better but I believe Forest Green only have 12 players currently under contract for next season; they are going to have to spend quite a bit of cash just to get a competitive team on the pitch for the first game of the season. By contrast, there are clearly areas where we need to strengthen but we already have 13 or 14 players under contract who I'd be confident could do a job in League One and 4 or 5 fringe/younger players I'd be hopeful could also make the step up.

Antony Moxey

I believe Forest Green only have 12 players currently under contract for next season ... but we already have 13 or 14 players under contract who I'd be confident could do a job in League One and 4 or 5 fringe/younger players I'd be hopeful could also make the step up.
So we're one, maybe two players better off. Hardly 'far stronger' I wouldn't have thought.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So we're one, maybe two players better off. Hardly 'far stronger' I wouldn't have thought.
The difference is Forest Green have a total of 12 players under contract, not all of whom will probably be good enough to step up to League One. By contrast we already have 18 or 20 players under contract, most of whom will be expected to make the step up. Or put it another way, we probably need to sign maybe 4 or 5 players whereas Forest Green will probably need to sign double that.

ExmouthMart

The reality is we are currently in a far stronger position than Forest Green, (though of course that could all change by the start of next season.) Not only was our form for the second half of the season much better but I believe Forest Green only have 12 players currently under contract for next season; they are going to have to spend quite a bit of cash just to get a competitive team on the pitch for the first game of the season. By contrast, there are clearly areas where we need to strengthen but we already have 13 or 14 players under contract who I'd be confident could do a job in League One and 4 or 5 fringe/younger players I'd be hopeful could also make the step up.
The reality is we are both in League One next season. They have a multi millionaire owner. We don’t. We lose a couple of our quality players and are we going to be able to sign like for like replacements?! No….. For example we lose Stubbs and our defence is far weaker. It was a standing joke about when he was ever going to play but he has been a rock for us this season.