• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Tickets for a pound on Northern. Might be useful for when we play Barnsley.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tickets for a pound on Northern. Might be useful for when we play Barnsley.

Hope they put extra rolling stock on ! Of course they won’t due to the convoluted way the rail network is run.

I remember SWT had a promotion a few years back to Waterloo.It was dreadful, packed in like a tube train from Exeter to Salisbury(3 carriages then 6 but no better), luckily a friend & employee on SWT had booked me into 1st, which I gave up for a OAP who was clearly struggling in the scrum.
After the game I sought out a travelling Grecian with a car & bunged him £20 to travel back with him.

DB9

120k passenger journeys have been made since last November when this line was re-opened, What a great success story. (y)

tavyred

120k passenger journeys have been made since last November when this line was re-opened, What a great success story. (y)

Not surprised, can’t speak highly enough of this service. After two false starts owing to strike action and an unexploded WW2 bomb near the line, I’m hoping to use the direct service to SJP to and from Okey on Saturday for the first time this season. 👍

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Huge problems with the Salisbury to Exeter line, caused by the dry summer

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The West Somerset Railway Autumn Gala has been cancelled. Not seen as financially viable this year, one factor being that the cost of coal has doubled.

Colesman Ballz

The West Somerset Railway Autumn Gala has been cancelled. Not seen as financially viable this year, one factor being that the cost of coal has doubled.
Their real problem is the on going weight restriction on the line, severely limiting the range of guest locomotives that can be brought in. They need to once again be able to bring in the big locomotives which attract the crowds. The only guest loco that they had secured was a Standard 2-6-4 tank , so little wonder that advance bookings were abysmal, causing the cancellation.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Their real problem is the on going weight restriction on the line, severely limiting the range of guest locomotives that can be brought in. They need to once again be able to bring in the big locomotives which attract the crowds. The only guest loco that they had secured was a Standard 2-6-4 tank , so little wonder that advance bookings were abysmal, causing the cancellation.
Seems their Galas are non-starters for the time being, then. Wonder how long the weight restriction is expected to last?

Colesman Ballz

Seems their Galas are non-starters for the time being, then. Wonder how long the weight restriction is expected to last?
They have been doing a lot of work, but I don't know how much is left to do, I guess they will continue this winter. As things stand their best hope is a Cambrian theme, bringing in additional Manor Class locos to augment the two which they have already. Although that wouldn't be cheap as you need a couple of low loaders for each engine and its tender.

Alistair20000

They have been doing a lot of work, but I don't know how much is left to do, I guess they will continue this winter. As things stand their best hope is a Cambrian theme, bringing in additional Manor Class locos to augment the two which they have already. Although that wouldn't be cheap as you need a couple of low loaders for each engine and its tender.
No Bulleids Pacifics in the near future then ? :(