• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alfie Pond to Wolves for 500k

dommers

Hope he has made the correct decision
If he's got a 5 year contract then it's absolutely the right decision financially and give him loads of time to develop. He's obviously not there yet although if he has the career of our last player to be signed by Wolves then he'll do OK.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Alfie has made his decision (with advice from others presumably) which he is entitled to do.
You are Paul Tisdale and I claim my 5 cravats.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cant help but reflect last night on how decisions players make can potentially shape their whole careers. When Ollie turned down Notts Forest in the January and decided that the less glamourous Brentford was in his best interest the rest as they say is history. Alfie would certainly have started last night and given the injuries to Diabate and Stubbs he would not only have made his football league debut but would I suspect have gone onto make at least 20 starts this season. I believe the deal the club received for Pond couldn't have been turned down and it would have been incredibly brave of Alfie to turn Wolves down. However, instead of playing Hendesford Town and meaningless U23 games he would have experienced the cut and thurst of league one football and get to play at Derby and the like. His contract opportunities this summer or even in January I suspect would have been greatly in excess of whatever development contract he is currently getting from Wolves. Like I say neither Pond nor the club got it wrong as such but from the players perspective he could have fast tracked his career if things had happened differently?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cant help but reflect last night on how decisions players make can potentially shape their whole careers. When Ollie turned down Notts Forest in the January and decided that the less glamourous Brentford was in his best interest the rest as they say is history. Alfie would certainly have started last night and given the injuries to Diabate and Stubbs he would not only have made his football league debut but would I suspect have gone onto make at least 20 starts this season. I believe the deal the club received for Pond couldn't have been turned down and it would have been incredibly brave of Alfie to turn Wolves down. However, instead of playing Hendesford Town and meaningless U23 games he would have experienced the cut and thurst of league one football and get to play at Derby and the like. His contract opportunities this summer or even in January I suspect would have been greatly in excess of whatever development contract he is currently getting from Wolves. Like I say neither Pond nor the club got it wrong as such but from the players perspective he could have fast tracked his career if things had happened differently?
Do we know for a fact we would have been able to re-call him from his loan at Yeovil?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do we know for a fact we would have been able to re-call him from his loan at Yeovil?
I assume given his loan contract was cancelled to join Wolves that must have been possible?

Boyo

I assume given his loan contract was cancelled to join Wolves that must have been possible?
We'd have only been able to cancel his loan arrangement with Yeovil in the January transfer window.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
We'd have only been able to cancel his loan arrangement with Yeovil in the January transfer window.
I guess it depends on whether there was recall clause?

Boyo

I guess it depends on whether there was recall clause?
From the EFL rules:

56.1.2 any recall clause requiring the early termination of a Standard Loan can only be included in a full Season Standard Loan and this can only be activated during the Winter Transfer Window.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
From the EFL rules:

56.1.2 any recall clause requiring the early termination of a Standard Loan can only be included in a full Season Standard Loan and this can only be activated during the Winter Transfer Window.
Thanks Boyo very helpful info

Agent Andy

No one in their right mind would turn down the contract Alfie has now earned,