• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alfie Pond to Wolves for 500k

Positive spin

So do I and his dad told me £400 and three pairs of boots a year. The upshot of this tale is that even the horses mouth can say different things to different people :) Perhaps just perhaps I suspect he was on more than either of what we were told but it wont have then sounded like he was so hard done by. Anyways it's all water under the bridge now as they say and this is a good deal for the boy himself and for the club
Don,t players get the boots for being members of the PFA ?

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Chieck was 19, Pond was 17 when Chiek got the call, that was why he got first dibs. When Diabate came in he played some match winning games in our promotion season, he was a revelation. Some people have short memories.

STURTZ

Another match winning performance from our brilliant centre back, Cheik Diabate!

IndoMike

400 a week ain't a bad wage for young apprentice positions.
-

andrew p long

Agreed there Bridgy. The benefit of this loan was that regardless of his potential you need to see a player at a reasonable standard of football (no disrespect to Tiverton) before you can truly judge if that potential can be realised. I know it's only two games etc. but the upturn in Yeovil has been obvious since Pondy came into the team. The boy wanted away partly because of the increased money available. \he is looking like the heir apparant to Stubbsey. I hope a new deal increasing his £400 a week to around £1k a week with a 2yr deal could persuade him that his short term career could work at SJP
(quote transferred from the loan thread)

A very astute point. 2 clean sheets, a win and four points in Alfie's two games for Yeovil. In their other 5 games no clean sheets, no wins and only 2 points.With Alfie points per game 2, without him 0.4.

MT has made the point in the transfer window interview that it was those 2 games that brought the (English) Premiership clubs to the table and generated the sort of offers that could be accepted - it was rumoured that Spurs were battling Wolves for Pond's signature.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
(quote transferred from the loan thread)

A very astute point. 2 clean sheets, a win and four points in Alfie's two games for Yeovil. In their other 5 games no clean sheets, no wins and only 2 points.With Alfie points per game 2, without him 0.4.

MT has made the point in the transfer window interview that it was those 2 games that brought the (English) Premiership clubs to the table and generated the sort of offers that could be accepted - it was rumoured that Spurs were battling Wolves for Pond's signature.
But now, instead of getting experience of men's football he is twiddling his thumbs on a Saturday and playing under-23's football.

Bridgy 81

Alfie has made his decision (with advice from others presumably) which he is entitled to do.
There will be some immediate advantages for him by moving to a Premier League club i.e. increased salary, a 5 year contract and possibly playing with better players and receiving improved coaching with top class facilities within a better training environment.
There will be some immediate disadvantages (but not too many I suppose) i.e. the probability of him being restricted to a series of relatively uncompetitive and meaningless under 23 matches for the foreseeable future.
Whether or not Alfie’s decision to leave us, where in all likelihood he would have broken into our League One first team to some extent this season, works for him in footballing terms won’t be able to be judged for another 2-3 years in my opinion.
I’m disappointed and frustrated that we didn’t get to see more of Alfie but it’s now up to him through skill, hard work, determination and humility to take the opportunity he’s been given.
I’ll be keen to see from a distance how he goes and wish well but principally, if I’m honest, because if he succeeds then so do we (and that last bit is what I’m most interested in).

Whatever the amount Celtic and Rangers offered for Alfie it is far better for him to go to an English PL club rather than the Scottish Premiership, where there are only two teams of quality, both of which would struggle in the PL.

Memphis09

But now, instead of getting experience of men's football he is twiddling his thumbs on a Saturday and playing under-23's football.
Exactly my point all along
He needed to be patient but no the lure of a premiership club was to much
Hope he has made the correct decision

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exactly my point all along
He needed to be patient but no the lure of a premiership club was to much
Hope he has made the correct decision
Just like Jay he will be back at SJP after Xmas on loan !