• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Next Exeter City First Team Manager Thread

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
You will relocate to a commutable distance. Bit too wooly that one - Tisdale commuted from 100 miles away, some people away from football commute from considerably bigger distances than that.

The club are seeking to recruit an experienced first team manager. How much experience? Would Nicholson still be legible to apply, and outside of him who else from within would be, given it’s an internal as well as external advert.

Personally it doesn’t appear to be a particularly attractive proposition.

Colesman Ballz

I am not sure that the Club necessarily had you in mind anyway, when setting out their target demographic ! 😎

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You will relocate to a commutable distance. Bit too wooly that one - Tisdale commuted from 100 miles away, some people away from football commute from considerably bigger distances than that.

The club are seeking to recruit an experienced first team manager. How much experience? Would Nicholson still be legible to apply, and outside of him who else from within would be, given it’s an internal as well as external advert.

Conversely, I think a club that has a reputation for giving managers time, a squad of players who SHOULD be good enough to stay up, talented youngsters to work with and develop and exciting new training facilities would all seem to make it a very attractive proposition.

Antony Moxey

My point was that the job advert doesn’t make the job look particularly attractive. It could be worded so much better. Then again, given a professional football club’s manager’s position is so high profile within the industry, you wonder why an advert is needed at all. Surely all you need is such and such are looking for a new manager, you’ve got until such and such a date to apply.

DB9

My point was that the job advert doesn’t make the job look particularly attractive. It could be worded so much better. Then again, given a professional football club’s manager’s position is so high profile within the industry, you wonder why an advert is needed at all. Surely all you need is such and such are looking for a new manager, you’ve got until such and such a date to apply.
I would of thought as soon as MT gave his post match interview last Saturday the club's email inbox was full of hopeful applications before any advert was put out.

denzel

Delete

tom_ecfc

We're providing a replacement boss service.
Manager must wear platforms on matchdays!

C j phill

I think your view is correct but there is so much HR "legislation" that needs to be followed that I suspect some form of job advert, post description and person specification was necessary, to ensure we didnt receive a subsequent "claim" from an unsuccessful candidate, at the conclusion of the process.

robchave

For the past few years, City has been a success story. So, do we appoint someone who wants to 'stamp their own mark' on the club, or do we choose someone who is happy to continue on the same path that has given us success?
If our desire is continuity, then I would expect to appoint someone from within or someone with recent experience of the club. Having been part of our success, they would be less likely to have ego problems about carrying on someone else's project. However, all managers will see us as 'a stepping stone', so we have to be very careful that they don't want to change a winning formula, just so any future success can be obviously seen as their success.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Artell now 1/2 with some bookies. Wonder if it’s just because they’ve received a number of bets on him, or if there’s more to it.

I think he’d be a decent appointment.