• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Peterborough United matchday thread

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
On which subject, I didn't notice Jevani being given a yellow for this offence after scoring Saturday's winner, nor find any evidence of this happening in subsequent match reports ? The Lino did appear to have a quick word with him, but did some commonsense prevail for once ? :unsure:
He was booked, hence the booing from the Bank (which worried me, for a split second I thought they had chalked off the goal)

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nope, not having it. Giving a yellow card for that is ridiculous and petty. What's the point ?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
OK, I'll rephrase it to 'MJ contributed very little'.

To be clear, I'm not an MJ basher, he just isn't playing anywhere near well enough at present. Of course, it's a vicious circle because you need the game time to get match sharp etc but it's now mid November and I've seen nothing from MJ this season to suggest he deserves to start in games.
I don't altogether disagree with this. What riles me a bit is when people assert MJ isn't up to League One level. IMO, we simply haven't seen enough of him this season to make a judgement ether way. That said, he must be one of the most technically accomplished players at the club and, while I appreciate that isn't everything, I'd imagine that makes him better placed than many to make the step up.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't altogether disagree with this. What riles me a bit is when people assert MJ isn't up to League One level. IMO, we simply haven't seen enough of him this season to make a judgement ether way. That said, he must be one of the most technically accomplished players at the club and, while I appreciate that isn't everything, I'd imagine that makes him better placed than many to make the step up.
I think it's harsh when people say he's not League 1 level. MJ scored a lot of goals in League 2 and I don't think the jump is that big for him to suddenly be way out of his depth. That said, he hasn't played well this season when given the chance - whether that's due to our system or lack of match sharpness, who knows? But the fact remains he's not been great.

Memphis09

I think Matt Jay did ok on Saturday, really lacking in match fitness imho on Saturday. He did ok, but compared to the form of Stanno, Nombe and Brown he is nowhere near them at the moment for a consistent starting spot. Jay is still a very good Striker though and his time this season will come.
You must of seen a different game to me
Ran around yes
Contribution one pass up the wing second half
Will be very surprised to see him start again this season unless we have a lot of injuries
Sorry just not good enough

Memphis09

You said MJ was 'completely ineffective'. I was merely providing one example of how that was, plainly, nonsense.

FWIW, I didn't think the position MJ was asked to play on Saturday saw him at this best. I also thought that Jev wasn't particularly effective, up until the point Sam Nombe came on, playing as a No. 9.

My point, I guess, is that while both players did the job they were asked to do for the team, one is widely lauded [of course, I appreciate the goal at the end played a big part in this] and the other is roundly criticised.
At least brown did contribute

Memphis09

He has had chances so why hasn’t he stepped up
Simple not good enough
Sorry but that is the fact

iscalad

He has had chances so why hasn’t he stepped up
Simple not good enough
Sorry but that is the fact
No, it's an opinion.

Boyo

You must of seen a different game to me
Ran around yes
Contribution one pass up the wing second half
Will be very surprised to see him start again this season unless we have a lot of injuries
Sorry just not good enough
He was tidy, if not spectacular. Although his lovely footwork set up Jevani's chance in the fist half, that Jev ultimately curled just wide of the post.

Rosencrantz

Nope, not having it. Giving a yellow card for that is ridiculous and petty. What's the point ?
I think it goes back to the more skin tight shirts back along and Diego Forlan struggling to get his shirt back on after taking it off celebrating his long awaited first goal for Man Utd. He was on the touchline for quite some time whilst he and various backroom staff got it back on.

It is a really petty rule though as is the automatic yellow card for jumping into your own supporters, albeit that is for leaving the pitch. That was more brought in for those grounds with athletic tracks around them. Any goal celebration in the Rome derby was taking quite a while 🙂