• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Key and Collins will be offered new and improved contracts (almost certainly have already). Being under 24 compensation would be payable unless the two clubs can agree a deal before the end of his current deal (July 2023). With our track record with selling young players for big fees it would be a massive gamble for a club to sign either Key or Collins without knowing what the fee could end up as. Neither are kids both have played significant numbers of games in the football league and were part of a promotion winning team. Personally I expect to see both players signing one year extensions to their city contracts and then leaving on free transfers the following season unless their form is such that a club higher up the leagues is tempted either in January or this summer. I cant see that for Key with the number of defensive mistakes he continues to make.
I think it's unfair to judge Josh too harshly until he has a run in the team in his best position. After all it feels like the last two times he actually got into an attacking position on the right side of the box he set up a goal both times.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sound analysis. City will cite in any tribunal the fee that ECFC were offered for Key by Sunderland which was IIRC reportedly around the million pound mark (though I suspect the actual up front offer was less and the balance would come from contingent add ons.

As to the Tribunal value it would be interesting to know what Bristol City were ordered to pay for Kane Wilson - his situation/record very similar to Josh Key.

My guess as to the outcome for Key and Collins is that both will leave in summer 2023. The Tribunal will then order - or we will reluctantly accept - a low up front payment (200/250k) with extensive potential add ons if they are successful at their new clubs.
The big difference is that Kane was only at Forest Green for 2 years whereas Josh has been with us since he was 16.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
With Archie turning 24 on 31 August 2023, is there a scenario whereby he doesn't sign a new contract for us, but bides his time until the 31st and then signs elsewhere on a free as a 24 year old?
I think but others may be able to find chapter and verse but if we offer a contract before he turns 24 is the substantive issue

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think but others may be able to find chapter and verse but if we offer a contract before he turns 24 is the substantive issue
Off the top of my head.
We must offer a contract that is equal money wise at worse to the individual prior to the end of their deal. If we fulfil this criteria then we are due compensation in lieu of a player under 24 leaving. I would imagine the club will not only fulfil this criteria but also probably improve on his current deal. Then it is up to Archie and prospective bidders to do a deal with each other, then with us and failing a deal between clubs it then goes to the compensation guru in the great big dark cloud of compensation decisions.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Off the top of my head.
We must offer a contract that is equal money wise at worse to the individual prior to the end of their deal. If we fulfil this criteria then we are due compensation in lieu of a player under 24 leaving. I would imagine the club will not only fulfil this criteria but also probably improve on his current deal. Then it is up to Archie and prospective bidders to do a deal with each other, then with us and failing a deal between clubs it then goes to the compensation guru in the great big dark cloud of compensation decisions.
I was responding to Boyo's specific point which was "With Archie turning 24 on 31 August 2023, is there a scenario whereby he doesn't sign a new contract for us, but bides his time until the 31st and then signs elsewhere on a free as a 24 year old?" My response was that I think we are covered as long as we would have offered the contract before he is 24 which I'm pretty sure we have already

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I was responding to Boyo's specific point which was "With Archie turning 24 on 31 August 2023, is there a scenario whereby he doesn't sign a new contract for us, but bides his time until the 31st and then signs elsewhere on a free as a 24 year old?" My response was that I think we are covered as long as we would have offered the contract before he is 24 which I'm pretty sure we have already
This is correct. If Archie wants to leave and sign for another club for next season we will get a fee, either agreed by the two clubs or it will go to tribunal. I too could see Archie and Key signing one year deals as then they could leave the following season on a free. This is the balancing act the club have to navigate though. Do we sign them up for another season which obviously would help us establish ourselves in league One, but then getting nothing on transfer fees for them the following season, or do we need to get a fee for them this summer to be able to reinvest to help us continue to grow. Difficult situation for the club to manage especially as we don't hold all the cards.

In terms of Jevani Brown I think he has been excellent for us and would love him to sign a new deal but with him now being 28 I don't see this happening unfortunately. If GC is able to bring in another forward during January I think we would take a small fee and allow him to move on. I also don't think he will replicate his form to the extent he has with us elsewhere and think in a couple of years time we will be saying that we had the best of him etc. Just to reiterate, I'd love Brown to stay, but just don't see it happening.

C j phill

This is correct. If Archie wants to leave and sign for another club for next season we will get a fee, either agreed by the two clubs or it will go to tribunal. I too could see Archie and Key signing one year deals as then they could leave the following season on a free. This is the balancing act the club have to navigate though. Do we sign them up for another season which obviously would help us establish ourselves in league One, but then getting nothing on transfer fees for them the following season, or do we need to get a fee for them this summer to be able to reinvest to help us continue to grow. Difficult situation for the club to manage especially as we don't hold all the cards.

In terms of Jevani Brown I think he has been excellent for us and would love him to sign a new deal but with him now being 28 I don't see this happening unfortunately. If GC is able to bring in another forward during January I think we would take a small fee and allow him to move on. I also don't think he will replicate his form to the extent he has with us elsewhere and think in a couple of years time we will be saying that we had the best of him etc. Just to reiterate, I'd love Brown to stay, but just don't see it happening.
In terms of Archie, I assume it depends what planning the Club have undertaken. If they've identified a replacement (and I had assumed that Kyle Taylor was his intended replacement, so his long-term injury is very unfortunate), I guess he'll be off for some sort of a fee, either in January or the summer, to maximise our proceeds. If this sort of planning hasn't taken place (and I'd be both amazed and disappointed), I assume we will try and get to re-sign.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
If Salford, Mansfield or Bradford came in for Collins with enough money I could see him going there.
Two steps backwards to stay two steps backwards......... I don't think so.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
The big difference is that Kane was only at Forest Green for 2 years whereas Josh has been with us since he was 16.
does that make a difference to the Tribunal compensation award? (IIRC we got a decent Tribunal fee for James Dunne even though he'd only been with. us a comparatively short time)

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
does that make a difference to the Tribunal compensation award? (IIRC we got a decent Tribunal fee for James Dunne even though he'd only been with. us a comparatively short time)
Yes, I believe the idea of the compensation is to reflect the amount of time and money a club have invested in a player. The front page of this article suggests all of the following are taken into account.

How the PFCC determines compensation