• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Swing to Labour was 13.75%. (y)
More significant perhaps Tory vote share slumped by almost 16%. Nice one Rish!

DB9

But, and I think for the first time, by a swing that will make ppl sit up and take notice.

I did say parachuting Sunak in as PM would be handing the keys of #10 to Starmer. And now your'e gonna believe me, and now you're gonna believe me....

I give Rishi till some time in the summer.
A 13% swing also to Labour, Still won't happen with Sunak, Another leadership contest and it's curtains for them as a political force, They will be even more of a laughing stock. What has come to the fore even more is the division within the party, Normally you could "Trust" the Tories to unite with gritted teeth to stay in power but now certain people within the party openly call out the Government, That was very rare back in the day.

Mr Jinx

A 13% swing also to Labour, Still won't happen with Sunak, Another leadership contest and it's curtains for them as a political force, They will be even more of a laughing stock.
I disagree. You'd have a point if they were neck and neck in the polls. But when you're 20+ points behind in the polls and seeing swings like you did last night, what have got to lose.

wrt Sunak, the Membership didn't want him for starters. Secondly, whilst you've got the CoL still going on, putting in someone who is as wealthy as he, is an absolute gift.

DB9

I disagree. You'd have a point if they were neck and neck in the polls. But when you're 20+ points behind in the polls and seeing swings like you did last night, what have got to lose.

wrt Sunak, the Membership didn't want him for starters. Secondly, whilst you've got the CoL still going on, putting in someone who is as wealthy as he, is an absolute gift.
How can you trust the membership? They voted for Truss, I think those Tories at Westminster know the next GE they're screwed and even Hunt's budget a lot of his tax burdens were coming in after 2025 so they can say its on Labour's watch, Sunak to lead them into the next GE, Get beaten, Have sometime in opposition with a new leader and direction, They did the same after 97, It took a while but back then the economy was in a better state.

arthur

OK then, just for the sake of argument, if Sir Graham Brady put on his grey suit and told Sunak that his time was up and they would organise another leadership election, which current Tory MP would you recommend they choose to prevent a wipe out?

You are not permitted to say Ben Wallace because, for the sake of this argument, he will decline to stand...

angelic upstart

But, and I think for the first time, by a swing that will make ppl sit up and take notice.

I did say parachuting Sunak in as PM would be handing the keys of #10 to Starmer. And now your'e gonna believe me, and now you're gonna believe me....

I give Rishi till some time in the summer.
A winter by election, with a tiny turn out by Chester's record and almost zero mention of it in the rags. I can't see it myself.

angelic upstart

How can you trust the membership? They voted for Truss, I think those Tories at Westminster know the next GE they're screwed and even Hunt's budget a lot of his tax burdens were coming in after 2025 so they can say its on Labour's watch, Sunak to lead them into the next GE, Get beaten, Have sometime in opposition with a new leader and direction, They did the same after 97, It took a while but back then the economy was in a better state.
The membership were told to vote for Truss by the rags.

arthur

Vox pops..

20221202_083019.jpg

DB9

The membership were told to vote for Truss by the rags.
No, She promised unfunded unicorns of tax cuts for the Shires, Sunak was seen as Johnson's "Back stabber" and they voted for her, How'd that work out?

Mr Jinx

OK then, just for the sake of argument, if Sir Graham Brady put on his grey suit and told Sunak that his time was up and they would organise another leadership election, which current Tory MP would you recommend they choose to prevent a wipe out?

You are not permitted to say Ben Wallace because, for the sake of this argument, he will decline to stand...
He can be persuaded, everyone has their price. But if not, then one of Mordaunt or Johnson. Some people would say Badenoch, but I see her being about as appealing to the electorate as Sunak.