• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Morecambe v Exeter City Matchday Thread.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought it was Caprice who lost his man.
Caprice was the only one of our defenders to react and did his best to get there. The Morecambe player came from next to Chieck who failed to respond to his player peeling away

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Caprice was the only one of our defenders to react and did his best to get there. The Morecambe player came from next to Chieck who failed to respond to his player peeling away
AND he ran past Grounds.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
This culture of switching off needs addressing immediately, it has cost us far too many points.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The problem is that we have to win games like that. How can the manager look at that fixture and think we need to set up defensively?

If we had started 3-4-3 as we finished we would almost certainly have won that game.
He set up defensively as a result of us shipping 27 goals in 10 games. To continue setting up with a record like that will only end up with losing more games than you win. A new manager with a fresh pair of eyes has to act in a situation such as ours. Sweenz himself admitted as much in his Oxford interview. If we had started as we finished we would probably have conceded two goals and given ourselves a massive hurdle to overcome. As others have said we played well, the performance was hugely improved and it doesn't matter how you set up at the start it matters what happens in the 90 minutes

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
AND he ran past Grounds.
the goalscorer ran past grounds I was referring to the player who crossed the ball having run past Chieck

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Give the bloke a chance perhaps, it’s hardy been disastrous so far.
Exactly he is still finding out about his players and what they can or cannot do.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not a wind up at all, after a dodgy spell in the first half we were clearly the better side and then we absolutely dominated the second half. Grounds was solid, Cheick struggled first half but grew into the game well, Key played 100 times better than he did at Oxford and we created huge pressure and loads of chances. The only thing missing was the crucial bit - putting the ball in the net.

Jevani came on and played brilliantly but let’s not forget he was playing against tired players (GC’s plan) and let’s also not forget we didn’t actually score with him on the pitch. He’s a legend and I would start with him, but I can see what GC wanted to do last night and it very nearly worked, so I’m happy with the performance.

I prefer us playing 3-5-2, yes, but let’s also not forget that we’ve played that most games this season and we’ve shipped loads of goals. Maybe in this league we need a different approach? Or at least the option of having a different approach so that we’re not too predictable? KMT said before he left that we were too easy to play against. GC needs to change that and it’ll take time, especially when his first few games were against such strong opposition.

Geddon city and Geddon GC.
Agree 100% with you.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
The problem is that we have to win games like that. How can the manager look at that fixture and think we need to set up defensively?

If we had started 3-4-3 as we finished we would almost certainly have won that game.
Since joining us GC has now realised how vulnerable our defence is regardless who we are playing against and set up accordingly with the aim of stopping the goals from continuing to flow into our net.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
i agree. it is possible to be critical of individual decisions and results (this is what most football discussion revolves around) without calling for the managers head. Inevitably you're going to have a lot of caldwell bashers as we we've been doing so well the past couple of years. I think Gary's on a hiding to nothing taking this job, given we've gone as high as we can under trust ownership in my opinion
Current membership numbers yes…increase the membership to circa 6,000 different story altogether.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is there any actual evidence that this is true or did he just leave because someone offered him the chance to challenge himself at a higher level and also earn a lot more money?
And he saw the run of fixtures coming up and figured he would like to leave before we started losing more games...