• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St. James Park - Championship Ground

tom_ecfc

Taken from the ‘We‘ll Score Again!’ Fanzine Issue 20 - 1997!

96EED2C7-6828-418F-B11C-817D5EA7032E.jpeg

Memphis09

I don't recall that and I took part in some of the discussions.

It was certainly designed originally so that it could be extended round the Well Street / St James Road corner, though I don't know how easy that would be in practice and where the 1st aid / police hut could be moved to.

IMO to only realistic increase in capacity would come from doing this and butting it onto a small double-decker stand to replace the Barnet terrace. Though I doubt it would be cost-effective unless we got into the Chapionship and stayed up several years.
Agree the away end could easily be extended
Probably would fill it up with half the fixtures we have this season
Or against teams like FGR Accrington Burton Morecambe let have the seat in the end block and open the away end to city fans

tom_ecfc

Or how about plans for SJP…
F73AAD5A-4B77-460B-B5D3-140A0937E0BD.jpeg

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well definitely over cautious but agree nothing the-club can do other than ask people to diet
So the question is now what is new official capacity as we keep selling out but the crowd varies a great deal
There are always a few people who buy tickets but can't make it for one reason or another. ST holders are included even if they don't attend but other ticket holders are not. It was typically 100-150 when I was doing the numbers for the Gates Committee.

To illustrate, there are always a significant number of no-shows of away fans, whcih can be easily triangulated with actual number through the turnstiles. I think the current reduced away capacity is 1,311 (950 standing, 361 seats) Portsmouth actual was 1,143, Sheffield Wednesday brought 1,254.

The Club of course get the gate money even if fans don't attend, but miss out on programme, food and beverage sales etc.

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Or how about plans for SJP…
View attachment 10743
Interesting, but that plan was for three covered standing terraces. We have done a lot better than that!

Boyo

1673543613262.jpeg

Memphis09

There are always a few people who buy tickets but can't make it for one reason or another. ST holders are included even if they don't attend but other ticket holders are not. It was typically 100-150 when I was doing the numbers for the Gates Committee.

To illustrate, there are always a significant number of no-shows of away fans, whcih can be easily triangulated with actual number through the turnstiles. I think the current reduced away capacity is 1,311 (950 standing, 361 seats) Portsmouth actual was 1,143, Sheffield Wednesday brought 1,254.

The Club of course get the gate money even if fans don't attend, but miss out on programme, food and beverage sales etc.
Thank you

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Much discussion about how we can increase capacity by spending millions on a new away stand etc. etc. My understanding is that the ground capacity is governed by exit's and how quickly people can be safely evacuated? This may sound highly simplistic but could we increase the size of the standing areas capacities by increasing the size of the exit points?Like I said simplistic but wouldn't cost the earth

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Taken from the ‘We‘ll Score Again!’ Fanzine Issue 20 - 1997!

View attachment 10742
I remember it well. The only thing missing from the illustration at the time was a couple of flying pigs 😁

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Much discussion about how we can increase capacity by spending millions on a new away stand etc. etc. My understanding is that the ground capacity is governed by exit's and how quickly people can be safely evacuated? This may sound highly simplistic but could we increase the size of the standing areas capacities by increasing the size of the exit points?Like I said simplistic but wouldn't cost the earth
I would imagine one issue is the flight of steps from the BB, it’s a pinch point & slows exit from the ground significantly especially from the top of the BB down the two flights to Stadium Way.