• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's amazing on a thread about Tim Dieng going to Gillingham there's a debate about our manager and his tactics with speculation on why he does or doe not select another player. Shouldn't these be on the either a GC thread or the relative players thread. There's digression and then there's digression

I also wonder whether the poster applied for the role of manager when it became available or is it easier to critique from afar (or keyboard) without any of the knowledge or resource available at the time

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's amazing on a thread about Tim Dieng going to Gillingham there's a debate about our manager and his tactics with speculation on why he does or doe not select another player. Shouldn't these be on the either a GC thread or the relative players thread. There's digression and then there's digression

I also wonder whether the poster applied for the role of manager when it became available or is it easier to critique from afar (or keyboard) without any of the knowledge or resource available at the time
In fairness I had thought about this being on the Dieng Thread.

Although I was responding to comments made in relation to a comment i Made.

I won't apply for a football manager role as I am not one, like almost (Just in case Tisdale really is on this forum) everyone on this forum. Does that mean I or you or anyone cannot have an opinion on our manager, his tactics and his team selections and his past experience being relatively poor. Also, By doing the thing I Have been banging on about for the last month, we win two games on the bounce.

I will say it again, as i Have failed myself, but i will not bang on about Caldwell, I sort of got sucked in yesterday again. Everyone knows my opinion, they know why I think the way I do in relation to Caldwell and so far no one has really argued the substance of my point around selection and tactics other than I am harsh and he must have more time.

Memphis09

Disagree. He is not injured or returning from injury in those moments and whilst seeing the effect not playing him was having on the side you would seek to readdress that. Also during that period we barely had any midweek games, which again if we had 3 games a week for a number of weeks, it would make the decision understandable. That view only really works if he was either injured or returning from injury or we had a huge amount of games in a short space of time.

So one of Pompey, Bristol and Oxford is understandable, not considering his lack of game time upto that point.

One thing, with Nombe not being in the side, is whether some of it was due to the incidents following the Fleetwood game. That is a possibility.
Thought he was ill so that was partly the reason he did not
Still would be my first name on team sheet

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thought he was ill so that was partly the reason he did not
Still would be my first name on team sheet
I think that was in relation to just the Portsmouth game and not the rest, But even then I don't think he was named as being specifically Ill, but that we had illness in the camp.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sacking a manager who has just won two sequential away games seems a bit harsh.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think that was in relation to just the Portsmouth game and not the rest, But even then I don't think he was named as being specifically Ill, but that we had illness in the camp.
I think Caldwell said in his post match interview that both Sam and Tim had been sick and were only fit for the bench.

Leaving aside possible fitness "red zones" which we wouldn't be privy to which could see Sam on the bench, Caldwell did say that he thought a player like Sam could be really dangerous off the bench against a tiring defence. Now however you may disagree with or not with that opinion, my thought was that he would be dangerous but we need another Sam like player starting, it is reasonable for a new manager to give any experiment a few games to see if it worked. It seems that for the last couple of games that has been ditched for now, possibly would have been for the Portsmouth game. If we get another striker in this month, we could see it tried again.

New managers come in and have different ideas that may not seem obvious to fans. The things Caldwell has done (Sam off the bench, Josh playing in a more attacking role), he has given explanations for. I find his explanations make sense, even if it doesn't in practice work out. Sam because Stanno and Jevani are not an ideal strike duo. Josh I think the jury is still out, The Oxford second half certainly showed that he can get in dangerous positions. As always, time will tell.

tonykellowfan

The thing about Key is that he gets up and down the pitch well and so the wing back role suits him very well.

Putting Key up top is wasting some of his strength and also moving out a player who is better than Key in that position.

supernova

I disagree it is disrespectful to the interview panel. I am not calling for their heads in this matter. Also, if Caldwell goes the way I think / Suspect it will, the trust will have made one bad appointment in 5 over 2 decades, which is a great record.

We are lucky this season, our side is talented and capable of a good mid table finish even without additions. It will take either a mass exodus of the side or really really incompetent management to get us near the relegation zone (That is still completely plausible on either count). Caldwell did spend 2 months or so where our 3 main strikers (2 of which are top 7 for goal scoring even still) didn't score. Brown has not scored since Peterborough still and Stansfield has still yet to score under Caldwell. These are real valid points of concern and this is not just down to the opposition, this is how Caldwell has set us up, along with Leaving Nombe out of the side for a huge chunk of those 2 months.
It will go south at some point, managers are 99 percent of the time relieved of their duties when managing a football club. It feels weirdly like many want GC to fail and soon!?

This isn’t an amazing look in to the future you’re giving by saying “if Caldwell goes the way I think” - yes he will be sacked one day that’s football

Last edited:

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
]
It will go south at some point, managers are 99 percent of the time relieved of their duties when managing a football club. It feels weirdly like many want GC to fail and soon!?

This isn’t an amazing look in to the future you’re giving by saying “if Caldwell goes the way I think” - yes he will be sacked one day that’s football
[/QUOTE]
We haven't sacked a manager since the 02/03 season.

Under trust ownership we've never sacked a manager.

I don't want any failure at all, but thus far hugely uninspired by Caldwell and to me he has to prove his ability to be successful with us. Based on the evidence of here and now I am not convinced he is the man to bring this to our club.

Obviously success is relative and let's be honest the club ain't removing him anytime soon, so can only really be hopeful I'm wrong

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Obviously success is relative and let's be honest the club ain't removing him anytime soon, so can only really be hopeful I'm wrong
I'm really not sure many people give a monkey's chuff about your crusade to be proved right or wrong