• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St. James Park - Championship Ground

tom_ecfc

I wonder how many City clubs have their stadium in a different council area to their own football team?

I can remember when the Devon County Showground was in Whipton with the huge amount of land behind it in Exhibition/Eastern Fields. When the Show decided to relocate to Westpoint this would have been a prime spot to build a new stadium, Exeter Saracens rugby permitting. Could have been a multi purpose arena with parking and possibly a station beside on the Waterloo line. Whilst the infrastructure wouldn't have been great, it would still be better than currently for the ground. I spoke to a lot of fans at the time about this and none wanted to leave SJP. The simple fact is that everything moves on and nostalgia isn't always the best option. Here ends my heresy!!

Bat Fastard

if we ever do build an out of town stadium i hope it's not one of these bowls everyone seems so fond of nowadays - 4 stands opposing each other makes a far superior atmosphere in my opinion. can't see it happening mind

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
if we ever do build an out of town stadium i hope it's not one of these bowls everyone seems so fond of nowadays - 4 stands opposing each other makes a far superior atmosphere in my opinion. can't see it happening mind
We won't be leaving sjp in the next 2 decades..

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
We won't be leaving sjp in the next 2 decades..
Unless Beazer reform !

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wonder how many City clubs have their stadium in a different council area to their own football team?
Off the top of my head just Nottingham Forest, and Manchester United. Though they are still within the same urban areas and very close to the city boundaries.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Administrative boundaries change over time so I don't put much stock in them. But best of luck to anyone wanting to get the boundary of Exeter widened to include the larger travel to work area.

Bristol City were originally in Somerset. Grimsby are in Cleethorpes.

Boyo

So no one wants to move and no one thinks there's any sites anyway, yet the facilities and capacity of SJP realistically mean we cannot progress beyond where we are right now.

Answers on a postcode please.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Chester's is in 2 different countries. Must be the record.;)

robchave

'If' we were, by some miracle, able to put together a team that got us into the Championship, who honestly thinks we could stay up for longer than the 3 year period before we'd be forced to make significant ground changes?
Wouldn't a more like scenario be that we'd enjoy the ride, with a L1 standard team in front of packed houses, and then take the money (parachute payment) and run?
Having done that, we perhaps would have generated enough funds to upgrade the ground and make another, serious attempt.
We all have to remember that we are talking about a level of football that we have never previously achieved in our 120 year history. Last year, for most of us, our highest ambition was to become an 'established L1' club. Staying in L1 would ge a good start.