• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah ok then, that’ll be why there were numerous Championship level clubs queuing up to appoint Caldwell, Rotherham obviously didn’t think he was the better manager.
I shouldn’t of thought so either after his sacking at Partick Thistle whom are the equivalent of a lowly L2 team at best. His stock levels were hardly high, he’s very lucky to get a job again in the EPL.
Experience? Managerial experience-in what capacity? He’s got more experience in being sacked I’ll give you that one.
If its playing level experience that you allude too, Who gives a toss?…I’d rather have Eddie Howe over Gerrard, Lampard or Ince as the next England manager. Taylor is a far more intelligent man than Caldwell.

Man Management skills-how have you drawn this conclusion-what dropping your best player(JB)suddenly for Argyle away? Nombe for no reason for consecutive matches. Starting Kegs over the skipper against Oxford, dropping Dieng to the bench for the last 4 games after initially starting him when he returned to fitness. Incidentally I keep hearing Dieng was some kind of bit part player this season? Absolute rubbish-check the stats, before he got injured against MK Dons he started every game when we were looking good early on. GC started him as soon as he was fit…he was Collins first choice partner.
Then all of a sudden he drops him for the last 4 games.

Funny old thing- January arrives and two of the most influencial players in the squad are happy to jump ship to go to bigger clubs in L2.

I’m sure all our players are loving his man management skills. Does It appear so?

Training was harder when Fabio Capello took over England according to the players, might be harder but doesn’t mean to conclude it’s more effective.

I’m not digging you out Agent Andy, I just don’t agree with any of that.

Yes we have had two close away wins, but the jury is more than definitely still out on him before we start blowing smoke up his arse and discrediting KMT.
This was meant to be a defence of KMT post rather than a berating of GC. As our fickle fans seem to be embracing in his struggles at Rotherham.
I want Caldwell to do well here as he is never going to get sacked regardless of what he does and he will be here as long as he wants, or until his contract expires.
GC's record here, so far, stands up to scrutiny. Not quite sure how a genius like yourself would have got more points from players you don't know?

Truth is, you've made up your mind already, and no amount of "I want him to do well" statements, at the end of long negative Nelly posts, can hide your ridiculous bias.

larrywilkie

GC's record here, so far, stands up to scrutiny. Not quite sure how a genius like yourself would have got more points from players you don't know?

Truth is, you've made up your mind already, and no amount of "I want him to do well" statements, at the end of long negative Nelly posts, can hide your ridiculous bias.
And judging by crowd numbers, the vast majority believe in what is happening at the club right now, otherwise we wouldn't be anywhere near selling out for tomorrow??

Funny as well isn't it, that someone can even use two fantastic away wins as a negative. "Yes we had two close away wins"!! Hmmm

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Caldwell might end up being awful but has had an above average start.

I don't think you should go into a new era with a manager with bias, some managers work well at certain clubs. Judge on what you see, and at the moment it's hard to complain. Of the names apparently listed and interviewed, Holden (now at Charlton) was my choice - I didn't think there was much to choose between GC and Holden yet the latter has found himself a far bigger club. Realistically, if it wasn't Caldwell, who should we have appointed?

If it goes to shit and there's clearly no improvement over a chunk of time, and we're not achieving our goals contextually for ECFC then that's the time for fair criticism. Eventually that'll probably happen, most managers get sacked as mentioned.

But I think GC can do a really decent job for the next 2/3 years from the literal evidence in front of me. We're not Wigan, Partick or Chesterfield, we're Exeter City doing things a completely different way structurally.

Grecianpasty

In a slightly sadistic way, I quite like that Caldwell is polarising fans opinions of him. And in all honesty, I kind of get the impression he doesn't care. He looks like a man who believes in his process, and will work relentlessly to achieve his goals as our manager. It's refreshing to see, and I'm sure there will be some difficult times along the way. I'm excited to see how he deals with the hard times.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do love the "I want him to do well" comments when they clearly don't. For whatever reason, some of our fans have taken an instant dislike to GC and there's no changing that.

Agent Andy

Let’s wait and see , but I bet you Taylor’s out of a job before Caldwell is .
I take all cowsheds points but at the end of the day Taylor’s made a massive mistake jumping ship way to early, he had one lucky season and he knows it , and to literally tap up all our backroom staff and players shows he couldn’t care less .
Caldwell is in a different league than Taylor altogether and most of our squad are embracing the different coaching methods

Bat Fastard

I take all cowsheds points but at the end of the day Taylor’s made a massive mistake jumping ship way to early, he had one lucky season and he knows it , and to literally tap up all our backroom staff and players shows he couldn’t care less .
Caldwell is in a different league than Taylor altogether and most of our squad are embracing the different coaching methods
who's he tapping up andy? disappointing if so, hope he's not after flitcroft as was speculated on another thread.

Bat Fastard

disagree about one lucky season though, i thought taylor did a great job on the whole and played an important role in developing the young players who we'll hopefully sell on for substantial fees (ideally not straight away mind)

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whether Taylor jumped too soon or not doesn't really matter to us now

But the one lucky season is an exceptionally harsh assessment of his 4 years. Prior to the curtailed season we where really in the hunt for automatic promotion. The COVID season he took us to the verge of the playoffs with a significantly reduced budget and lots of youth players followed by being runners up and promoted.

AmberRed

disagree about one lucky season though, i thought taylor did a great job on the whole and played an important role in developing the young players who we'll hopefully sell on for substantial fees (ideally not straight away mind)
I would give Dan Green the plaudits for bringing through the majority of the good young players that we have in the squad rather than MT. He was instrumental in their development and getting them in to the first team.