• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

It's not what you know it's who you know - or you are in a bigger lodge !
Very vaild point there 😀😀

Bat Fastard

I'd like to have seen what kev could have done in the window i've got to say, plenty of contacts in the torbay area no doubt...

tom_ecfc

There appears to have been a huge volume of business this window. Or is it normally like that, and I've never noticed because we historically have signed very few players in January?
I would say this is the last of the hangover from Covid. Lots of players tied themselves down to longer contracts at the time to see themselves through that period. Those contracts have come to an end now and lots of players are on the move again.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not a myth that geography played a part historically in our transfers. I am sure players were less likely to travel down and commit for a manager in the summer, they didn't know at a club they weren't sure would stay in L1.
Players will show an interest given the right incentive.
It's not a myth that geography played a part historically in our transfers. I am sure players were less likely to travel down and commit for a manager in the summer, they didn't know at a club they weren't sure would stay in L1.
I'm not saying it didn't play a part ,but it shouldn't have been used as an excuse for not filling vacancies in critical positions.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
At the moment these players haven't proven to be the quality we are desperately portraying them as, although agree I'm happy with the window and the signings etc.
Very true.3 more steps this season for Caldwell.

1)Persuade one or all of the big 3 to sign an extension if it will give us more power in sales negotiations during the Summer.
2)Organise the new squad into a team that is achieve an average of 2 points per game.
3)Do something something about the abysmal home form.No win in 4 games.Where is Fortress SJP?We want it back.

First one is asking a bit much from Caldwell though.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
What with a January window as we haven't seen in some time, I hope folks don't start dissing Matt Taylor in the process of celebrating GC's efforts. I don't know for sure, but would not be surprised, if Gary was financially backed by the board in a way that Matt would have liked, back when he seemed to be saying there's no extra money. Just a thought like.
Didn’t the main Trust guy say there was extra in the budget after MT said there wasn’t (after Taylor had left)

Seemed to contradict what Taylor said in the summer

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn’t the main Trust guy say there was extra in the budget after MT said there wasn’t (after Taylor had left)

Yes I think that at briefing at SJP on 19 Jan 23 either Justin Quick or Nick Hawker mentioned it - it might even have been the event before.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Players will show an interest given the right incentive.

I'm not saying it didn't play a part ,but it shouldn't have been used as an excuse for not filling vacancies in critical positions.
Are we forgetting that Tisdale used to say there were players who were actively looking to come to the Club.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

If my memory serves me rightly, the extra in the budget was guaranteed by the trust but not required due to the club being able to pay for the additional itself.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well, we’re no worse than when the window started, so we’re still magical, just with a larger squad. The strength is in who we’ve kept, not who we’ve brought in.

If we can persuade only one or two of our players, that will be free agents this summer, to re sign, we’ll be in a very good place.
To be fair I think we have already been working on that.

We may struggle because we don’t yet have the financial resources to compete with many Clubs even at this level with regard to wages and no one can blame players from wanting to go where they will be best paid.

That said they can all see we are a well run and prudently run Club and to that end they have job security.

Also they will soon be able to look forward each day to coming to work and enjoying close to state of art training facilities.

My hope is with those pluses we may yet succeed in keeping all of them for next season and build a platform for further progression and encourage them to continue to buy into the ECFC Project.