• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Memphis09

Last time we went up to league 1 we struggled and only a late goal from Harley v Hudders saved us, the next season we rebuilt and pushed on to our best ever season. If we can manage mid table this season I feel we can make better progress next season and who knows?
Course I'm not giving up on this season, keep winning and we can still make the play offs, but promotion would be too soon for us IMO. But there again perhaps the chance to play in the Championship with us might prove enticing to some of those players we expect to leave in the summer.
For now I just want to see a home win on Saturday and take it from there.
Doing much better than everyone expected (I am not one of those by the way) looks to be building a squad to challenge next season

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
With no 3 to be fair we have had a run of tough home games but on saying that we should of beaten FGR but for that miss by Key
Also in the 15 games Gary has been in charge so far, only 5 have been at home and 10 away. When you add in the tough run of fixtures we have faced in that, a W5 D5 L5 record is not too shabby.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
What with a January window as we haven't seen in some time, I hope folks don't start dissing Matt Taylor in the process of celebrating GC's efforts. I don't know for sure, but would not be surprised, if Gary was financially backed by the board in a way that Matt would have liked, back when he seemed to be saying there's no extra money. Just a thought like.
I'm not sure if Gary was backed financially anymore than MT. Perhaps he's just been a bit smarter with the money at his disposal. Losing MJ, Dieng, and Stubbs, presumably 3 of our higher earners, and also getting fees for 2 of them, has allowed him to sign Mitchell, Mcdonald, Scott, and Aimson. He's basically gained 4 players who are likely to all get plenty of game time between now and the end of the season, and got rid of 3 players, who were getting little or no game time whilst with us under Caldwell. Smart move by the boss.

We've obviously had bigger crowds than anticipated which has generated some more disposable income, and the Pond money that MT didn't get access to that perhaps Caldwell has, but let's not forget the cost of living crisis that all clubs are dealing with. I hate to think of the monthly electric bill when we've had a few home games, just powering the floodlights must cost a fortune.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be fair I think we have already been working on that.

We may struggle because we don’t yet have the financial resources to compete with many Clubs even at this level with regard to wages and no one can blame players from wanting to go where they will be best paid.

That said they can all see we are a well run and prudently run Club and to that end they have job security.
All player wages are secured. Unlike 'normal' businesses which go bust players get first dibbs on available money and therefore job security is the same whether you are at a well run club like ours or one that isn't like a Crawley.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I'm not sure if Gary was backed financially anymore than MT. Perhaps he's just been a bit smarter with the money at his disposal. Losing MJ, Dieng, and Stubbs, presumably 3 of our higher earners, and also getting fees for 2 of them, has allowed him to sign Mitchell, Mcdonald, Scott, and Aimson. He's basically gained 4 players who are likely to all get plenty of game time between now and the end of the season, and got rid of 3 players, who were getting little or no game time whilst with us under Caldwell. Smart move by the boss.

We've obviously had bigger crowds than anticipated which has generated some more disposable income, and the Pond money that MT didn't get access to that perhaps Caldwell has, but let's not forget the cost of living crisis that all clubs are dealing with. I hate to think of the monthly electric bill when we've had a few home games, just powering the floodlights must cost a fortune.
I would say that this is probably the case. MT was given the biggest budget we have ever given a manager last year and he did a great job in getting us promoted. He was also given an increased budget this year as well which Nick Hawker confirmed. As you have said Snoop Dog I think GC has probably been given a slight increase based on increased attendances etc, but he has also been very shrewd in who he has let go and has been able to utilize the money well to bring in the targets that he wanted.

I think getting decent money for Matt Jay and Dieng (although GC did not want him to go) has really helped, and letting Stubbs move on also makes sense. With the transfer money received and the wages that these three would have been on, it has helped GC to make this a successful window.

The summer will be a different beast, but for now, lets enjoy the 2nd half of the season and see what this team can do.

ryancooper327

My only criticism is we don’t have 2 in every position now with the CBs. But that’s just me!

Sweeney Aimson Hartridge
No-one Diabate Grounds

I’d argue it looks Aimson would be better in the RCB position with Diabate in the middle but GC can’t drop Sweeney.

Average Joe

I'm not sure if Gary was backed financially anymore than MT. Perhaps he's just been a bit smarter with the money at his disposal.
Huge statement.

MT was backed he signed Jevani, Nombe, Jamal, Stansfield, Stubbs and about 8 others. Nombe was our record transfer fee as well.

I will add that MT recruited very well for Exeter and left us in a very good position, hence why he is now a championship manager and managing one of the top 40 clubs in England.

My worry was GC was going to come in and maybe change things around too much but in my opinion GC has added to MT's excellent recruitment.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Huge statement.

MT was backed he signed Jevani, Nombe, Jamal, Stansfield, Stubbs and about 8 others. Nombe was our record transfer fee as well.

I will add that MT recruited very well for Exeter and left us in a very good position, hence why he is now a championship manager and managing one of the top 40 clubs in England.

My worry was GC was going to come in and maybe change things around too much but in my opinion GC has added to MT's excellent recruitment.
MT’s recruitment was consistently very good, usually more so in the summer months. He very quickly identified the type of player he wanted to work with and did well to dismantle the tippy tappy nowhere football.

Januarys were more of a struggle - I’d make the assumption here that he felt it best to use as much of the budget prior to the season starting?

I’d rate the incomings of summer 2021 as some of, if not the best collection of recruits I’ve seen at the club. He essentially brought in a League 1 side which is proving itself now.

Not sure what happened last summer, maybe he overstretched and wanted to get players who would never join us. It was a strange one as he’d been able to convince quality players in L2. We ended up with only one permanent, 3 loans one of which we pay nothing for. His comments about no budget were, imo a bit of a cover for some mis steps as that clearly didn’t add up then and even less so now.

Bridgy 81

My only criticism is we don’t have 2 in every position now with the CBs. But that’s just me!

Sweeney Aimson Hartridge
No-one Diabate Grounds

I’d argue it looks Aimson would be better in the RCB position with Diabate in the middle but GC can’t drop Sweeney.
I was thinking along similar lines and working out in my head if we now have sufficient players to effectively field two different teams.
And we do if you put Ed James in where you have your gap.
I know he’s maybe a little way from being in contention for first team selection but he did have the experience of some game time against Oxford earlier in the season and was on the bench a couple of times for the first team too, admittedly albeit during our defensive injury crisis.
I haven’t personally watched him play but I think he’s doing ok at Tiverton so hopefully he’s one of our next ones off the rank.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
MT’s recruitment was consistently very good, usually more so in the summer months. He very quickly identified the type of player he wanted to work with and did well to dismantle the tippy tappy nowhere football.

Januarys were more of a struggle - I’d make the assumption here that he felt it best to use as much of the budget prior to the season starting?

I’d rate the incomings of summer 2021 as some of, if not the best collection of recruits I’ve seen at the club. He essentially brought in a League 1 side which is proving itself now.

Not sure what happened last summer, maybe he overstretched and wanted to get players who would never join us. It was a strange one as he’d been able to convince quality players in L2. We ended up with only one permanent, 3 loans one of which we pay nothing for. His comments about no budget were, imo a bit of a cover for some mis steps as that clearly didn’t add up then and even less so now.
Isn't part of the issue with getting promoted that a manager stays too loyal to players from the promotion season? I wonder if MT was still here whether MJ and Dieng would have left the club? I'm not so sure they would have.